Geo. Surinamensis size

Ira

3-4 months ago I bought a pair of Geophagus Surinamensis from Fee. One of them is now very definitely smaller than the other. Does anyone know if this is a sex-linked trait or something common? This would be the second pair of them that I've had one of the Surinams significantly smaller than the other. But, other than the size I can't tell any difference between the two. Males, I think, are supposed to get a bit bigger and have longer trailing fins. But, both seem to have identical fins, just one is bigger.

They're both happy and eating like pigs, by the way, Fee if you read this.:) Once or twice they scared me and I thought they might be bloated, until I realized that their huge belly goes away overnight and then suddenly reappears after feeding Hehehe.:)

Speaking as one who knows nothing about these fish and has never kept them :lol: my book says sexual dimorphism is very slight with the females being more silvery.

I would wonder if the larger fish was the dominant one so got more food. This would not necessarily mean big meant male, small meant female. The less dominant one probably doesn't want to attract the attention of the bigger guy.

Hi Ira

There is a size variation between males and females with the males attaining a larger size

The dorsal and anal fins extend sharper on males and both develop filaments from these fins

Ira what "Surinamensis" type are they ?

The 2 forms we have in Australia are

Geophagus brachybranchus AKA Black Throat Surinamensis

These have a coarse bronze/green body scale pattern that highlights

a red hue through the top of the body and they have a large mid body

spot that fades but is still present and noticable

The other noticable feature is a black cheek mark and the development of a black throat that intensifies with breeding

These fish are "lavaphiles" primative mooth brooders that lay the eggs

and wait 24-48 hrs before mouthing the lavae free and brooding them

The other form is Geophagus altifrons which I believe are the Manaus

varient these are a more emerald green body colour with orange/yellow

through the under belly the mid body spot fades to two small spots like a spider bite

These fish are "ovaphiles" advanced mouth breeders that spawn on a flat surface and pick the eggs up as they spawn like African rift lake mouthbreeders

Best if keep in neutral water >20*gDh ...... 28*C is recommended to keep the metabolism running at a rate where the fish eats readily and is not spooked easily ...... omnivorious feeder that like invertabrates

If you have any other questions feel free to ask

Chris 8)

Hi Ira

The G.altifrons are my favourites of the 2 they get larger in the body

and longer aswell

Usually need to be around 15cm size before breeding starts

Kick the temp up to 30-32*C feed heavy add earthworms and shimp

for extra protien

Keep the fry at 30*C they seem touchy if the temp drops

Feed them with New hatched brine shrimp , micro worms and ground

flake/pellets

Chris 8)