C02 Cylinder Recommendations

Dark

Thanks to the magic of pestering ones parents I have FINALLY managed to secure parts for a pressurised C02 system - my yeast problems are solved! (ok, so you didn't need to know that...)

The only component remaining to be aquired is a C02 cylinder, and the question I have is: What size?

This is for a 630l heavily planted tank. I don't know what deals I can get from BOC (unless there are better suggestions?), but I expect I'll be hiring the cylinder (always found the idea of swappa-bottle brilliant)

TIA guys

(Today, I post alot.)

Thanks to the magic of pestering ones parents I have FINALLY managed to secure parts for a pressurised C02 system - my yeast problems are solved! (ok, so you didn't need to know that...)

The only component remaining to be aquired is a C02 cylinder, and the question I have is: What size?

This is for a 630l heavily planted tank. I don't know what deals I can get from BOC (unless there are better suggestions?), but I expect I'll be hiring the cylinder (always found the idea of swappa-bottle brilliant)

TIA guys

(Today, I post alot.)

do you mind if i can ask where did you get the CO2 controller and how much it cost?

i too am looking for pressured CO2 for my tank.

WOW. 630l is a big tank.

630 is tiny :)

its about 1400/600/750

i really want something about twice the size.

the c02 stuff came from the old man who works in engineering - a couple of phone calls and a few bucks here and there (or was that a few beers...) and the only thing i have to get now is a bottle.

you can purchase setups if you have the money and want to part with it.

bottles cost about $50 and $10 a fill, a tap for the bottle will set you back about $450, other bits and pieces come in at around $250...

(edit: my pricing was way off - see post regarding prices lower down.)

i made the bits and pieces and scrounged the expensive bits - rather fitting for a dutch-style tank :D

the c02 stuff came from the old man who works in engineering - a couple of phone calls and a few bucks here and there (or was that a few beers...) and the only thing i have to get now is a bottle.

Is the regulator a proper CO2 one? Be carefull of regulators not designed for CO2 because they won't last. As CO2 is a liquid at 1000PSI and stays that way until the cylinder is almost empty the regulator has liquid CO2 in it. Notice an aluminium bottle is used, cause it eats steel when under pressure. The guts of a CO2 regulator is stainless steel. It would be a shame if your regulator failed and pumped your tank full of CO2...

It i s worth looking at Weldwell for CO2 cylinders, that is where I got mine from, and at the time it was not that expensive (unfortunately it was so long ago now, I can't remember what I paid for it)

Getting the cylinder refilled is no major hassle, I get mine refilled at Wards Cylinder Services in Lower Hutt

well the parts turned up yesterday! so shiney...

heres an image i poached. the difference 'twixt this and mine is simply that the bottom connector thingee sticks out the right hand side (H mount). (and on further inspection, has an NZ connector on it)

6000.jpg

BOC C02 regulator rated at 45l/m, high and low pressure gauges.

according to the gauge i could take up MIG or TIG welding with this.

two 'needle valves', just need to take a trip to the BOC supplier to get a couple of extra fittings to stick it all together and get a bottle

don't tell my flatmates this, but if it fits the sodastream... :D

my only gripe is that it is a horizontal mount valve, designed to be used with the bottle on its side rather than standing up - not that it makes any difference to the gas, and i'm sure it'll actually work out better when being mounted under the tank (or on the wall above it... now all i need is some underglow neon!)

After wandering around the city for a while i found out the following:

a BOC C02 regulator is worth about $150

a needle valve is worth about $20

extra fittings required total about $40

a new C02 cylinder will cost around $325

a cylinder can be hired for about $10 a month

getting an old C02 fire extinguisher converted tested and filled will cost about $165 + the cost of the extinguisher

i also found that i don't have $325 for a new bottle, and no-one wants to give me one for free :( the biggest annoyance is that i am looking at an old fire extinguisher as i type, but i think the landlord would be naffed if it disappeared!

what are you trying to source?

filling a bottle of 7 litres or so costs around $25 - the $325 bottle was around that volume. from what i have picked up so far, a bottle of this size should last around a year or two depending on the use it gets.

solenoids come in all shapes and sizes, some use a flashback arrestor with a solenoid attached to the diaphram to stop flow, some use a pin through a brass tube, some use turn-ball valves with solenoid arms - it all depends on what you can get at the best price for the size hosing and pressure throughput you are using. i got one from the old man for $free but i'll ask around next time i am looking for parts - $120 seems alot though!

bubble counters concern me as they seem completely inaccurate for the task - i'd rather use a proper mil/sec flow meter but most, if not all, the info i read on C02 is in 'bubbles per second' which, considering the different methods people are using to create their bubbles (pressure, hose size, counter liquid medium etc) seems about as accurate as saying 'buckets per second' and neglecting to state the size of your bucket.

because of this i have neglected to get one. my short term solution is the aforementioned flowmetre (another fatherly gift) and a (modified) drip counter (from the IV lines used in hospitals) to get a rough idea of how many bubbles per second are gained from my mils/sec. once i get a feel for it i probably won't need any of them anyway - heres hoping.

• 2 months later...

you may want to do a reserch on the Website:

http://www.aquabotanic.com/DIYCO2.htm (and many more).

to have a healthy growing planted tank, it is essential to have CO2.

accessive CO2 can harm your fish but the $70 thingy will not harm your fish as it is design to take care of 2 feet tank.

Some hobbyist are happy without using CO2 but i can assure that there will be great satisfaction as you watch the photosynthesis of the plant take place.

CO2 is also good to control your algea growth. it can get pretty complicated from here on.

if you plan to landscape your tank with lawn and different plant (green and red), you will need a careful balance of CO2, nutrient and lighting.

I hope i did not confuse you. but i encourage all hoobyist with planted tank to have at least the DIY from nutrafin. Currently, i have ten bottles of DIY CO2 going on in all my tank. that is why i need a better solution, like pressure CO2. (i still have excess of NUTRAFIN DIY CO2 (brand new) going for $50. let me know if you are interested).

Cheers

630 ltrs is tiny????????????

90% of tanks would be smaller than this so it all comes down to budget.

How big would your tank and co2 setup be if YOU had to actually pay for it like most of us do?

We all want more and bigger tanks and i would be quite happy with a tank that size.

Hi Niloc ( and others )

Thought you might be interesed in this. Its a CO2 solenoid I purchased from these guys http://www.valves.co.nz.

It runs on 240V, is uneffected by polarity ( just dont connect Phase to earth!) and is open when current is on.

In this picture I have wired the soleniod into a "piggy back" plug. This is plugged into the timer for my lights, when the lights come on the CO2 comes on, when the light go off... I guess you can work it out eh? :lol:

Cost: About 80 bucks I think.

Just a wee caveat - if you dont know what your doing... find a sparky mate to help you out like i do

As for a CO2 cylinder, BOC gases was about $120 hiregae for 12 months on the cylinder. Fills are ( i think ) about $12. Cost of gas is almost insignificant compared to the hirage. If i go through 1 cylinder in 12 months that will be $120 + $12 = $132 /12months = $11 per month hire + gas. The gas portion of that is only $1 per month.

CO2_solinoid_sm.jpg

• 3 years later...

No doubt its against the rules to use Google and drag up these old threads.. but...

Hi Niloc ( and others )

Thought you might be interesed in this. Its a CO2 solenoid I purchased from these guys http://www.valves.co.nz.

It runs on 240V, is uneffected by polarity ( just dont connect Phase to earth!) and is open when current is on.

In this picture I have wired the soleniod into a "piggy back" plug. This is plugged into the timer for my lights, when the lights come on the CO2 comes on, when the light go off... I guess you can work it out eh? :lol:

Cost: About 80 bucks I think.

Just a wee caveat - if you dont know what your doing... find a sparky mate to help you out like i do

As for a CO2 cylinder, BOC gases was about $120 hiregae for 12 months on the cylinder. Fills are ( i think ) about $12. Cost of gas is almost insignificant compared to the hirage. If i go through 1 cylinder in 12 months that will be $120 + $12 = $132 /12months = $11 per month hire + gas. The gas portion of that is only $1 per month.

CO2_solinoid_sm.jpg

will the above Solenoid valve set up work?

I thought that if you shut it off there the hose would just blow off?

but isnt the gas just going to build up between the regulator, needle value and the solenoid and just blow the hose off? surely a few bubbles a min over the 10hours the solenoid is off will build a fair bit of pressure...and even if the hose doesnt blow off, all the built up gas will just be dumped into the tank in one massive go once the solenoid is open again?

I thought the point was to stop the gas leaving the bottle?