abt Urau keeping or Urau temp

wee2

to those who kept or keeping Urau in their experience. what kind of temperament dose Urau have? do you mix them with other A.cichlids in your experience, like Texas, Jags etc. will they be good enough to hold themselves against nasty fishes like Severum. I think they are related to Severum by looking but do they have Severum's characters? please advise if you know.

I'd happily put them with other "moderate" cichlids like severum, geos, threadfins, or even angels and discus, and I don't think you'd have aggression problems with smaller CA cichlids like firemouths or convicts. I wouldn't put them with larger ones like jag/midas though, they just aren't built for the same kind of aggressive behaviour, and they do prefer warmer and softer water.

Great fish, but better off being kept with something from their own continent (excluding the likes of festae and GT, which technically are SA but should be treated as CA cichlids in terms of water requirements and aggression).

Yeah they're fairly similar to sev in terms of attitude/aggression, and as Snookie said, they're fantastic fish!! I just wouldn't mis them with your current stock, IMO they deserve a good sized group in a big tank with soft warm water and tankmates of similar requirement and aggression.......

How big is a tank?? Make sure they've got plenty of wood to munch on, soft water and lots of greens and see if you can breed them. I know a guy who may be interested in a group of young to grow out some time in the not-too-distant-future....

:P

still too young. got a long way to go. haha. they are abt 15cm from head to tail. tank is 350L. I realize they love munching the wood. I will be interested at getting a Texas of Trademe now. dont know if they will get along. it is very hard to see any texas on Trademe nowadays dont want to miss out. there is no room in my bigger tank it s kinda packed atm with nasties

he is busy doing something else. I will get it first then exchange his house with it. :slfg:

Hi David, as I rememberd you mixed your group with your festae before. wud that work. Obviously I am not adding Urau in with them but considering a Urau and Texas tank. what do you think.

I did have my uaru with the festae pair short-term, and the festae were still in the sub-adult stage. Not sure how it would go with adults, it could work if they all have plenty of space, but look at the difference in jaw structure; one is made for lip-locking and eating fish, the other is made for scraping wood and nibbling plants...

I did have my uaru with the festae pair short-term, and the festae were still in the sub-adult stage. Not sure how it would go with adults, it could work if they all have plenty of space, but look at the difference in jaw structure; one is made for lip-locking and eating fish, the other is made for scraping wood and nibbling plants...

exact... what abt Texas? I am thinking of adding a Texas in but not sure which tanks it shud go in.. 570L festae, Red devil and Jag tank, each of them is around 20cm+ or so, or the 350L Uaru tank, Texas is around 15cm too.