Moribund Gourami

GrahamC

Just got home from my secondary school nth decade reunion to find my blue gourami moribund lying on its side breathing rapidly in my 60L planted tank ( shared with 5 zebra danios). Noticed the filter was turned off ( wife does that all the time as she doesn't like the noise ) so I turned that back on again, and started a water change. Tested parameters and T 24C, NH4, NO2 0, and pH 7.6. Dropped an air stone in as well, and completed a 60% PWC. After that the gourami picked up and started to move around.

If this were low DO, shouldn't the gourami just go to the surface and get air?

The other thing I did was that I did clean two sides of the tank a couple of days ago, and scrapped off large amounts of green long algae, followed by a 25% PWC with aged water. Could that cleaning leave toxins in the water somehow??

If it perked up with the water and filter on I think it would have been shock and lack of oxygen.

The original post reads as though you cleaned the outside of the tank... if that is the case, unless you sprayed detergent over the water surface then that wouldn't put toxins in the water.

I just scrapped the inside of the tank with one of those tank cleaner things on a stick. Released lots of algae into the water though.

Just had another look. Put some food in and it tried to swim up to get it but dropped back to the bottom so looks like its not out of the woods yet. At least its now upright and not on its side.