Hi from Dunedin

frameaj1

It's a 54L tank (16G)

At the moment I have just setup the heater/pump and put gravel + water in.

Hoping to go to the pet shop today and find grass like plants, and some biggerish ones for the back.

Do I need to add some sort of fertilizer/dirt? Or is just gravel fine?

Also I measured the ammonia this morning, but the test didn't change colour. What's the best way to start the Ammonia process?

That is a nice size starting tank.

In terms of the cycling the tank http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?p=1868 has all the information you should need.

In terms of the actual cycling process near the bottom it goes into how to do fish less cycling, and cycling with fish.

Plants wise it really depends on how much you want to go into plants. I have never been that into making my tanks planted tanks, so I have just only used gravel, and added the occasional bit of fertilizer, but if you want to go into making a full on planted tank I am led to believe that they work better if you use some sort of aquarium dirt under your gravel, but that is entirely up to you.

But I should probably mention that I am not the best person to ask about plants as they always seem to die on me.

I wish you the best of luck with your fish keeping endeavors.

There is a very active, and friendly, aquarium club in Dunedin. Our Home Page has their details. They are also on Facebook. They will have plenty of people to offer advice locally and maybe even offer cheap plants and/or fish.

There is no point testing the tank water if it has nothing else in it. You need an ammonia source to start the cycle and where you get that from depends on how you cycle.

I suggest you contact the local club as I am sure someone could offer you some already cycled filter media.

• 4 months later...