DIY filter system

camtang

yeah, i find that the postage at times costs more than the media.

the cost vs reward to me is not enough

if you could get it from another country with out shipping, ie visit in that country, awesome.

otherwise, i will stick to bio balls and noodles/ceramic media.

its serving me well. no need to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

I'm having second thoughts about the design I used which sits atop a sponge filter. This meant that I didn't have to find suckers to hold the bottle to the tank wall but also has the effect of removing solids from entering the system ( though I also have the holes drilled above the neck of the bottle). I read that fluidized plastic media is used to process fish solids so it might be better to get the solids amongst the media and let it be reduced to fines instead by colliding the solids with the media.

Thoughts?

I'm having second thoughts about the design I used which sits atop a sponge filter. This meant that I didn't have to find suckers to hold the bottle to the tank wall but also has the effect of removing solids from entering the system ( though I also have the holes drilled above the neck of the bottle). I read that fluidized plastic media is used to process fish solids so it might be better to get the solids amongst the media and let it be reduced to fines instead by colliding the solids with the media.

Thoughts?

not sure what to advise, but i have seen that this media can be mixed with unfiltered water in terms of full of debris, it is designed so debris doesnt get stuck.

in saying that, i have never used it.

its supposed to be fast moving so debris or not, both should flow through.

I made my bottle filter today, I think I may of used a bottle that was to large and put to many holes in silly places.

Up side i wedged it between my internal filter and a rock so no suction cups :thup:

did it take a while for your media to start really moving graham?

Yeah .. took several months but then I was running a few other filters in the tank as well.

People say it takes a few weeks.

I did two designs. One all I did was put a few holes around the neck of the drink bottle, and the holes at the top to let the air escape. And that one then sits on top of the riser above the sponge filter.

The other one I cut across completely where the neck becomes straight. I again made holes at the top ( base of the bottle ), and then around the neck up to where the media sat. I didn't use a drill but a hot nail. I made a hole in the bottle cap and threaded in air line hose and joined it to an air stone inside. I then put a magnetic cleaner inside so I could hold it against the side of the tank using the other half of the cleaner. Er .. sounds confusing!

haha sounds veWhat size bottle did you use? I used a 1.5 L but sadly i had to incress my tank volume by about 80 L to make the bottle submerged. I am looking at doing another one with a 600ml bottle and droping it into my sump. all of this is purely because I am going to be setting up a sump for a 6 foot tank and want to use a moving bed type sump, so this is all basicly R & D for that

I used 1.5 L too but my tank is at least 60 cm deep. You only want to fill 1/4 of the bottle with media. Too much at the beginning and it won't fluidize. In that video the guy says you can add more later on once it fluidizes properly but I never bothered .. didn't want to get my hands wet! I think I remember seeing one of his videos using a very small hair conditioner bottle. Might be for a fry grow out tank or something.

BTW, you don't need to have the bottle submerged. In my gold fish tank the top inch or so is above the water line usually.

i used about half of what I got to start with, mainly because its a trial and the tank is very understocked with fry

with the top of the bottle above the water it meant the media was also going to dry out....... :smln: the media is moving so will not stay dry :facepalm:

This is my brain on 4 hours sleep and stupid tech stress. thanks for kick starting the brain for me