680L planted tank build (25/2/13 new pics)

Wellydave

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quick update. most of the plants are in still waiting on a few more to arrive. lights are under powered so currently looking for some mh's. some of the wood wasnt quite water loged enough so after filling it lifted but i am just going to leave it to sink in its own time. have ordered fert's from valray and also a wave maker as the pump in the sump dosent make enough water movement in the tank the turn over of water is fine but the plants are not moving in the current. anyway heres some pics

whole tank

IMG_1181.jpg

left side

IMG_1182.jpg

right side

IMG_1183.jpg

schweet

I'm trying to create a ground cover with lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae - same thing - it's getting vertical growth quite quickly, but it's that spreading and denseness that makes a cool carpet.

That's the awesome thing about photos, you can see the changes over time so you know what you're doing is working!

It's going to be such an awesome tnak when it grows out. Have you decided on a full stocking list yet?

haha cool yeah ive got some of that in here on the left and it seems to be stretching out rather than up where as the hair grass is going up insted of out :-? its weird.

so far stock list is not to interesting really

4 - 5 german blue rams 3 of which i have and are in my other tank

a pair of apistogramma cockatoo triple/super reds (still trying to find a pair of these)

50ish harlequin rasboras (waiting for tank to settle b4 buying)

a couple bristlenose's that are in my other tank

mabie a nice pleco (undecided on which type)

and mabie some discus if my mate can ever get his to breed without eating the fry haha

probably some guppies from my other tank as well since they seem to be breeding like crazy! thinking i will seperate the boys and girls so i dont end up with 100000 of the things

first fish in will be the 3 rams and then go from there

haha cool yeah ive got some of that in here on the left and it seems to be stretching out rather than up where as the hair grass is going up insted of out :-? its weird.

so far stock list is not to interesting really

4 - 5 german blue rams 3 of which i have and are in my other tank

a pair of apistogramma cockatoo triple/super reds (still trying to find a pair of these)

50ish harlequin rasboras (waiting for tank to settle b4 buying)

a couple bristlenose's that are in my other tank

mabie a nice pleco (undecided on which type)

and mabie some discus if my mate can ever get his to breed without eating the fry haha

probably some guppies from my other tank as well since they seem to be breeding like crazy! thinking i will seperate the boys and girls so i dont end up with 100000 of the things

first fish in will be the 3 rams and then go from there

Awesome! Did I see you talking about panda cories too? I love those little guys!

yeah i have 5 in my other tank but unsure if they will be transfered yet i think the monando might be a bit rough for them was going to see how the bristlenose went and if they seem ok will put the pandas in and try to get mabie 10 - 15 more so there is a nice little group

oh really? i was thinking of getting a 12000 lph one but after reading a few reviews online saying they were way over powered for 500l tanks and that they recommended getting 3000 lph ones i figured i might as well. its np tho they are cheap enough if i need 3 or 4 more then ill just get 3 or 4 more :slfg: and also that way if i do end up with 3 or 4 i can direct the flow to certain areas in the tank. well in theory that is :thup:

Good luck with your hairgrass.

May I make some suggestions for fish stock in your planted tank:

- Any tetra

- Rams will be great

- Gouramis

- Mollies

until your tank and plants take hold and are strong - avoid

I have 2 larger pleco's in my tank, cory's .. bristle noses siamese algae eaters and flying foxes ..

These fish destroy my plants -

I have wasted a good amount of money trying to get my plants to grow, and made the wrong choice of fish. It's cost me a huge amount of time and frustration.

But .. i love all my fish .. and for now .. they are a little more important.

I used alot of JBL product in my tank. If you havent seen my thread, check it out here : viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59027 it has some info about my setup etc.

Nice safe choice of plants too. I am very excited to see how your tank is in a few months time.

Plants will stretch upwards instead of out sideways if they are looking for light. To get the carpet effect you will need lighting that penetrates through to the bottom of the tank. Wiith the hairgrass insufficient light will cause it to die off, however if you have just enough light in a few weeks (2-3) you will see the new shoots hanging off out the side. Replant these.

yeah im prety shure my fish choices will be ok i have basicly the same fish (apart from the apisto's) in my other tank which is planted and they are all fine its actualy cranking for a low tech tank great growth and the fish are happy as larry so im not to worried about the fish going into this one.

i know the lighting isnt that great but after exactly 1 week ive got shoots of hair grass coming out from the sides so its starting to spread by it self so im not to worried about that. the glosso actualy hasnt been to bad its going up and sideways so im just going to wait and see what happens there was thinking of adding mabie 1 250 mh in the middle of the tank between all the fluros do you guys think this will be of any benefit or do you think 2 would be better? i want to get an all in one dual 250w metal halides with quad t5's but like ive said b4 there are none in wellington and bloody no one wants to ship :an!gry

also in unrelated news yesterday i brought another tank lol a 55l aquaone aquanano 40 which is ither going to be a nano planted or nano reef i am undecided on which yet but since i have no experiance with reefs im thinking planted may be the way to go... wanted a little tank for the lounge and this was the perfect size 40x40x40 :slfg: :slfg:

I would definitely not be starting my first dabble into reefs with a 55l. The bigger, the better for reef tanks, especially if you're just starting off.

My first reef tank was a 90l and it was very hard work. I'd never go under 200l now unless I also had a bigger tank so I could do daily WCs.

haha yeah its still not fast enough i get impaitent haha. i forget are you running co2? if not i highly suggest it and if you can upgrade your lighting (like i need to do) lol it will make all the difference

No CO2, and I won't be running it. The tank is almost a closed box and I'm a bit concerned about gas exchange at the best of times. I'm thinking of rigging up some supplimental lighting. It is growing, just too slow for me!