Another Betta with finrot

Dr A

It is time to use Furan, chances are that it is now bacterial. Furan can be purchased from hff.

Roger that, I'll see how he's going tonight and get it tomorrow. I have the luxury of working 2mins away from HFF Albany (a dangerious thing for for most people in this forum I'd suggest).

I decided to put him back into his normal tank. Did a bit of cleaning, pulled out the activated carbon from my filter, large water change and dosed with the Furan + a bit of salt.

Correct move as he's swimming around lots more and generally looking happier.

I'll do daily 10% water changes going forward until this settles down.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear, it's back again.

:(

Just finished following the Furan destructions, followed by daily/bi daily water changes.

Not sure why but gone downhill again.

Having some issues with my plants too, the Indain ferns on top of the tank got slimey and died very rapidly, along with a sudden increase of algae inside the tank.

Currently warming up my "Hospital" tank, plan is to keep him in there (filtered) while completely stripping the normal tank and cleaning everything (no soap).

It sounds like there is antibacterial resistance; not uncommon with OTC medications like Furan. I guess you won't know what to treat it with unless you do a culture and sensitivity, but it will likely be Aeromonas, Pseudomonas or Cytophga. At this stage, and without a C&S I would say Enrofloxacin is your best bet. The dose rate is:

Bath: 10mg/L for 5 hours. Repeat every 24 hours for 5-7 days.

If you want to try oral or parenteral dosing, there are dose rates for those routes as well.

If you happen to go to the vet to get the Enrofloxacin, you can get some metacam as well and dose it at 1 small drop PO every 24 hours. Adding 3-5mg/L of salt to the water will help with osmoregulatory stress. You can also try some levamisole as an immune stimulant as well as topical antiseptics like povidine iodine for 30-60 seconds followed by topical antibiotic cream (such as Panalog) for 30-60 seconds. Sealing the wounds with dental gel is also really helpful if you have access to that.

It sounds like there is antibacterial resistance; not uncommon with OTC medications like Furan. I guess you won't know what to treat it with unless you do a culture and sensitivity, but it will likely be Aeromonas, Pseudomonas or Cytophga. At this stage, and without a C&S I would say Enrofloxacin is your best bet. The dose rate is:

Bath: 10mg/L for 5 hours. Repeat every 24 hours for 5-7 days.

If you want to try oral or parenteral dosing, there are dose rates for those routes as well.

If you happen to go to the vet to get the Enrofloxacin, you can get some metacam as well and dose it at 1 small drop PO every 24 hours. Adding 3-5mg/L of salt to the water will help with osmoregulatory stress. You can also try some levamisole as an immune stimulant as well as topical antiseptics like povidine iodine for 30-60 seconds followed by topical antibiotic cream (such as Panalog) for 30-60 seconds. Sealing the wounds with dental gel is also really helpful if you have access to that.

Crikey.

I sure lucked out.

Will see how this second dose of Furan goes... TBH I'd probably consider passing the fish on to someone with the time/skills/experience to actually sort it out if it doesn't respond.