Reverse osmosis

dino

Acquired one from a friend.

I do not have a marine tank just freshwater. But my tap water is chlorine free but has a high PH 7+. This does not suit keeping Discus, Rams or Apistos.

I would like to use this RO system, as I want to eliminate chemical usage, the problem is I know that there are some good minerals and bad and both suffer with RO water. (marine tanks supplement this with salts)

Can I mix some tap water and RO water and get the desired PH value and correct chemical composition?

With my current tank with no RO water shall I slowly add RO water?

The goal is to use as less chemicals as possible. Thanks

RO water is perfectly pH 7.0, if you mix it with your normal water it will only go up, which as you said isn't the best for discus etc.

Im not sure what 'good' minerals you're talking about, unless you want to keep plants RO water should be fine I think.

there are many minerals in water that are required for really healthy fish.

each fish has its own demands.

plus many discus and others are bred and raised in moderately hard water above neutral.

There are professional Discus breeders working with water as high as 7.8 (probably higher)

also RO water has no buffers in it so you may have issues with your pH bouncing around.

there are heaps of products that you can use to add the trace elements back to your water and keep it where you want it.

mineral deficiency is one of the causes commonly cited for hole in the head disease