supericos paludarium journal

superico

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you need some form of ammonia buildup to feed the bacteria. you can go fishless and add an ammonia chemical, or feed it via a dead prawn or just lotsa uneaten fish food.

IMO having a few hardy species in there (and building the population slowly)does a better job with less risks.

or just use live bacteria solution and test until your happy its stable.

(useful enough????)

You need to put your aquarium through what is known as a cycle. Simply this refers to the cycle where organic waste turns into ammonia, the bacteria turns this ammonia into nitrite and the bacteria then turns this into nitrate which is absorbed by the plants or removed via water changes. This can be done with fish but may lead to toxic levels of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate in the aquarium so commonly it is done by introducing fish food or ammonia to the aquarium. This is known as a "fishless" cycle and is much safer.

I avoid fishless cycling for a few reasons,

1: you cannot be sure of the amount of ammonia you are adding unless you use chemical ammonia.

2: chemical ammonia may add other nasty things to the tank (im sure many will disagree but i'd rather be 100% sure than risk it)

3: fish handle minor ammonia rises in the wild (dry season pools) and do ok

4: a rotting prawn in your tank doesn't seem as good an idea as having a few fish swimming around

5: doing regular tests and learning the cycle properly will only help your fishkeeping skills. if you can keep fish alive during a cycle you can keep fish well.

btw that graph shows rather high nitrate levels, whoever keeps that tank should do more water changes. :P

Why not treat the cause of the problem instead of the symptoms? You're taking a panadol for a broken leg really. Ottos only eat certain types of algae and plecos rarely touch the stuff. Then again, this is all just free advice, up to you whether or not you take it :)

currently i cant regulate my nutrients, as i have jbl aqua basis plus and it freely releases nutrients into the water. so i have to wait until it stops releasing so i can get an even amount of nutrients for the plants to absorb and have no exes for the algae