goldfish rubbing flashing...do I need to worry?

dino

I have a relatively new pond, 1 month old. I have added some orandas 20 (7cm-9cm, some slightly smaller).

They seem to be rubbing against the Lilly stems, not too obsessively at the moment. Their appetite is good. I do have a thin bit of brown algae forming on the bed.

I have been doing water changes, the water in CHCH has no chlorine

It will not be hard to round them up and treat them as the pond is a pyramid shape of 3mx3mx 2.5m and depth of 1.2m.

Have I got "ich" I have no water parameters.

What action should I take? or do I leave it? :dunno:

Thanks in advance.

I'd say keep an eye on it. Get the water tested if you can. A new pond, with no beneficial bacteria in it, PLUS 20 orandas would lead to ammonia I would guess (unless your filter was already matured in another pond).

If your fish did get 'ich'/whitespot, the underlying issue may be the ammonia spike. That's the thing that needs fixing. So I'd say:

1) Get the water tested at a pet store so you know what you're dealing with

2) Keep up the water changes

3) Keep the feeding light

Good luck

Here are a couple of images, I will get the water parameters.

But this fish (same one in both pics, click for better resolution) has no white spots, can anyone see anything?

I do change water often. Having observed them for ten minutes, it is a gill irritation. any ideas?

IMG_3589.JPG

IMG_3590.JPG

here is a black fish:

black.jpg

Ok had the water tested and pH is really high, Ammonia is fine so is the nitrates.

I have treated the pond with pH DOWN and also stress coat. I will test again later in a couple of days, and maybe repeat.

Next time it rains I will ensure that I pump some water into the pond.

My tap water great for cichlids but have to be wary of using the water for other fish.

Has anyone else have high pH tap water in Christchurch?