So how about those....

camtang

i think our expectations are too high of some of our sports. i think cricket is a sport that's particularly tough for us to compete at the highest level due to population (amount of players here)& the setup of school & club cricket with regard to ground preparation maintenance. local councils prepare the majority of out local pitches and that means the minimum amount of $ is spent but what that creates is slow low bouncing pitches. these are the pitches that we play on at high school and club level, if you do well and are selected into regional teams you play on better prepared pitches but they are different to what you are used to so it's an ever changing situation. it's mostly down to our climate but it simply makes it harder to be consistant, especially for the batsmen. Last season Tim Southie was bowling on the pitch at maungakaramea which is prepared by a volunteer, two weeks later he was bowling on eden park in a test match. i don't believe the sport of cricket is setup well enough here at club/school level and that is where most of the shaping of a cricketer is done.