WTB, Moped 50cc scooter, Kapiti wellington areas

James125

yip just got it , but really should of got it a while ago :facepalm:

How did you go?

just be careful as i find some drivers in kapiti dont seem to follow rules especially give-way rules

also like to get right on your back bumper, not sure about on a scooter but i have found this in a car

you can only drive 50cc scooter on your learners

nope, its always been up to a 250cc, even back when I got my learners 37 years ago. The newest legislation that came in specifies which sport bikes up to 250 you can not ride on a learners, ie the very zippy sports bikes.

Much much safer to get a scooter bigger than 50cc, one that can get you out of the tight spots when cars squeeze you to the side of the lane and big enough to stop drivers thinking they can park beside you at the lights. Bigger scooters and small motorcycles get a lot more respect than a 'nifty fifty'. My 125cc (we also have a CX500 classic and Gagiva 650 sports bike) can do 95 on the motorway before red lining. However I do have to allow extra distance for stopping at that speed).

50cc would be fine around where i live and to get to and from school and work, not like wellington or a city where its a race to get where ever you are going to, id find them dangerous in a city, but in a town they will be fine.

i think you will still find they are in a race to get everywhere.

A problem with mopeds and scooters is that people don't generally behave like they are on a motorbike, so you get people wearing inadequate footwear and lack of protective clothing and zipping in and out of drivers' blind spots like they can't get hurt. Anyone who has fallen off anything going at 50km per hour or even slower with bare skin or normal clothing will agree it's not a pretty sight and you can get very messed up. I think if you have to go on 2 wheels then you need proper motorbike gear. If that means you have to buy a bike that looks like a motorbike so you don't look like a wally then so be it. You only have one life... well as far as I know anyway :sage:

+1

very good advice, get some leathers at least, I came off at around 20km and that hurt bad enough.

and buy a decent full face helmet, that way even if you do look like a wally, no one knows who you are!!!

(but don't dress like a patched up member on a scooter, good way to get bashed

Point taken, they can be dangerous if you dont behave as you should on one of these, leathers could be a good idea, but ive never seen anyone wearing leathers on a scooter :dunno:

Well I have seen, many times the result of the idiots who do not wear them on a scooter. When one has to stop their own motorbike and pick a scooter up off a rider on the side of the road, only to find the rider underneath is wearing jeans and a windproof jacket,no gloves and jandals ...

As I have said I ride a scooter, I do not wear leathers but I do wear a proper motorcycle jacket, gloves, full face helmet and good solid shoes. If wet I wear the full kit including boots.

Unfortunately smaller scooters are not as safe as the bigger ones but 99.9% of the time it is the car driver who is the cause because with scooters, cars tend to try and push them out the way.

All I can say is, if you buy a scooter or motorcycle treat everyone else as the idiot. Ride carefully, wear decent clothing, stick in the middle of the lane - not at the side and watch out for car doors being opened on you and cars u-turning. You need to remember that in the rear vision mirror and side mirrors you are a small but relatively fast moving dot.