O B Zebra breeding

maboona

Probably a silly question,but have tried researching but with no success.

I have access to a nice O B male,would it be right to pair him up with my red females or should he only be put with female O Bs

I know they are both estherae but different morphs.

I keep thinking back to my younger years,when breeding budgerigars, if you had an albino or lutino, you would always put it with a standard colour,never together.

Cheers for any advice.

I would stick the obs with obs if I was you.. With the quality of zebras in nz you can pretty much guarantee your obs and your Reds aren't pure so you would get all sorts of randoms come out.

Thanks for your answer

If the reds and the OB were pure, would the offspring be ?

Thanks all for rushing to help

I went to an international forum and had an answer in 13 minutes. :(

did you expect an immediate answer after 11pm on a friday night and it was a question you couldn't wait to have answered?

i wouldn't cross the ob and a red, you should always stick to their own species here as we have such a small pool of stock.

did you expect an immediate answer after 11pm on a friday night and it was a question you couldn't wait to have answered?

No smidey,but I thought after one week and fifty views an answer would not have been unreasonable.

i wouldn't cross the ob and a red, you should always stick to their own species here as we have such a small pool of stock.

Which is exactly why I asked the question,the answer of which still eludes me.

If the OB and red zebra are both Metriaclima estherae,would the young be hybrids, or put another way,when breeding O/Bs, would you normally go with 2 O/Bs or with an O/B Red combo to keep the strain pure and healthy.

2 ob's. Ob's should be bred with ob's and reds bred with reds. If you breed your ob male with your red female that would be crossbreeding, would it not?

If you breed a lemon jake peacock with a eureka peacock it would be a cross even though they are both jocobfrybergi strains.