Best treatment for algae in pond?

dino

Which algae is it? Different algae grow under different circumstances. Could be too much light, too much fertiliser, etc.

Might be cheaper in the long run to give the pond some shade :slfg:

As for pond treatments, every pond that I know of has algae... And it's always thick.

its all about getting the pond balanced properly, try increasing shade, add more plants and look at a live bacteria solution to up the filtration capacity, if there are fish reduce feeding (if lightly stocked then you should only need to feed once a week at the most)

Algae comes and goes in my pond, depending on season, without me using any sort of treatments at all.

Barley straw does work, if used properly, on certain algae. There is an article about it coming in the next AW, which is due out in November. :wink:

barley straw didn't work for blanket weed in my pond but then Anthony told me :facepalm: when I said that it was in the sun almost all day.

It reduces over winter usually and I pluck it out every few weeks so it doesn't get out of hand. I didn't use barley straw extract as I was worried it would kill the bugs in my pond, as bug growing is the purpose of it's existence.

Will be interested to read the article.