Red Jewel Breeding

siftyzod

Hi there just wondering if someone can help me out with the red jewels...

i brought a supposed breeding pair off trademe and had them in a tank for a few months now and have not had any eggs from them as yet.

just wondering how i can tell if they are a an actual breeding pair as i just went through the persons trademe and cant see that they have ever sold any fry.

is there a way to tell if they are a pair ?

any help would be great right now as i would like to get some red jewel fry..

the smaller one of the 2 keeps going bright red and then back to a pale colour..

im not exactly sure what to do as they were sold to me as a breeding pair or if there is something im not doing.

any help please?

Hi there just wondering if someone can help me out with the red jewels...

i brought a supposed breeding pair off trademe

Did the person you bruyed them from have them breed?

My jewels all paired up, I had about 12 pairs from all 6 females. If you have one of each I don't think you'll have a problem, just give them a bit of time.

Did the person you bruyed them from have them breed?

My jewels all paired up, I had about 12 pairs from all 6 females. If you have one of each I don't think you'll have a problem, just give them a bit of time.

Hi there

they said they did but im starting to think maybe not...what temp should the tank be at or are they not fussy is there a way to tell if they are getting ready to mate? im interested to know if i have a pair or not cause if not im going to throw all the red jewels in together.

and if you move tanks with a supposed pair how long should they take to settle in and spawn?

Just as a question just incase our ones are not a pair would putting all the jewels we have into one tank have any affect on the spawning as in a bad way ? or should i leave them as they are??

im really not sure what to do...i mean all our live bearers and convicts are breeding like rabbits but these 2 are playing hard to get cause next im going to focus on the frontosa and bumblebees as im working on 1 fish type at a time...so any help would be great

they might be a breeding pair when they were in seller's tank, also might be not as Red Jewells do not firm their relation in a life term permantly that is why a lot people keep red Jewell in colony. the pair are possibly still breeding when the water circulation, tempriture and aggression level are remained same. but they can be easily to break up when things are changed imo

I sold a breeding pair on trademe earlier in the year and they took all of a week in the new owners tank before they were tending to a new clutch. They're usually not overly bothered about water parameters etc. Maybe e-mail the seller and ask if they were breeding in a specific pH or something? You may have a fussy pair.

Mine were breeding in a fairly low pH tank (compaired to my others anyway) about 6.5-7 (just water out the tap with driftwood in the tank). And I kept the temp reasonably high, about 28 degrees. They did seem more prone to spawning if they were left without a waterchange for 3-4 weeks and then I did a 50% one with slightly colder water and higher pH. Hopefully that helps :)

the person i brought them off said they had them at 27 degrees they are in a 60 litre tank atm the girl is bright red they have a hufe rock that they are burrowed under and have been making a pit she never comes out from under the rock

• 2 months later...