Re-stocking my 75L

Squidlet

Hey everyone, some of you may remember my post about all the fish in my 75L tank suddenly hiding and not coming out, roughly a month ago. Unfortunately they never got over it and to this day I still don't know what the issue was. I sold all my young swordtails as I had been planning for a while, they are all perfectly happy in their new tank, swimming around at the front etc. I still have two female mollies(who are still hiding away) and a breeding trio of bristlenoses on the bottom(who are always out and happy enough).

Firstly: The tank has sand on the bottom,plenty of driftwood, taller live plants at the back and short species at the front. There are plenty of hiding spots. I found the fish were hiding at the back between the glass wall and the driftwood so was thinking of putting a bubble bar that stretches from one end to the other at the very back where they were hiding. Does this seem like a good idea or bad one for encouraging them to come out and taking away a hiding space? (unless they want to get pummeled by bubbles).

Secondly: I want to restock my tank as two black mollies is a little bit boring to look at. Originally I had a pair of pure white mollies(male and female) in isoation at the LFS, but they developed fungus and I definitely don't want to go there. I think Ive had enough of livebearers in general but would love some ideas from you guys for what to put in there. Id love an angel fish or two but 75L isnt big enough.

They have some nice honey gouramis, the red and yellow variety. Would a pair of honey gouramis in there be ok? I have heard from some people that two males can be aggressive towards each other but you need two females to one male? I don't really want to be breeding fish anymore lol. I like the idea of having a center piece fish and others to bulk the tank up, but don't want fish that are likely to swim off and hide creating the same problem as before. I do wonder if the honey gouramis would spend alot of time hiding.

Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Any type of dwarf gourami would be ok in there, I have kept 2 male honey gouramis together in a 54ltr with no aggression problems at all. Have you looked in some of the dwarf cichlids like apistogramma's or either type of ram? Bolivian rams are great in a small tank as once they have settled in they always come and "greet" you when your near the tank and can be really entertaining to watch.

Hmmm I have had a pair of rams before, but with my bristlenoses on the bottom also I wonder if they would get picked on? My male bristlenose gets really aggressive when he has a clutch of babies. But thats great to know about the honey gouramis! I was thinking a yellow male and a red female (only the yellows are males at this shop).

I just looked up the apistogramma's, they are so beautiful! I don't think I have ever seen them for sale anywhere in the shops here. But i think I will research into those! Would they go with honey gouramis and mollies or species only?

They're a great community fish, there is a guy on here that sells Apistogramma Trifasciata, they are personally one of my favorite fish and are beautiful. If you do want some apisto's I wouldn't probably keep more than 1 male to 2-3 females though, unless your tank is heavily planted to create some complexity for them to escape from each other.

Also I have kept rams with bristlenoses with no problems at all, rams are peaceful and the bristlenoses never do any damage to them other than chase them away if they get too close.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animals/f ... 103448.htm

They really are stunning! Seems like they need more care with water conditions though? Due to our water supply my tank is often more alkaline than acidic, just read that they are sensitive to change? I will keep them in the back of my mind though, if they are community there is no reason why I couldn't add them later once I have gradually added some other fish.

That's good to know about the bolivians, our LFS stocks them. Are males aggressive towards one another making it better to get a male and a female?

So far i am 100% convinced about the two honey gouramis, I may add them first. I need to come up with some tetras to out with them, maybe harlequins? They quite pretty and not too big.

Hmmm I have had a pair of rams before, but with my bristlenoses on the bottom also I wonder if they would get picked on? My male bristlenose gets really aggressive when he has a clutch of babies.

I've got a pair of blue rams in with a pair of Golden Bristlenoses in a 90L. They get along fine, except the male blue ram has figured out if he hangs outside the male bristlenoses cave long enough, he'll get a free feed of baby bristlenose.

That's good to know about the honey gouramis :D I'm looking forward to getting them! Hopefully the mollies hiding won't encourage them to hide.

I hadn't thought of the rams eating the baby bristlenoses! May have to reconsider there!

I did think about the bristlenose being the cause, but the rest of the fish were hiding down under the driftwood with the male bristlenose. He's only aggressive when he's breeding or protecting eggs, and even then they were hiding down with him? They would come out and eat when I dropped food in, and I would occasionally see them when I stood in the doorway, but the rest of the time they were gone. :dunno:

Thanks for all your advice guys! :happy2:

Any other suggestions for fish you have had luck with?