how to avoid current/flow in Aquarium ?

aotealotl

hello, as I am rather new to the aquarium side of the hobby I have a technical question about water filter and how to eliminate or avoid current or flow ? I am using a 1200x450x350mm aquarium for my Axolotl and I use a small internal filter, an italian made Shark all in one filter but even with that little filter there is a lot of current. would it be better to use an external filter and use a hose or tube on the full lenght of the aquarium with lots of holes to bring the water back into the aquarium ?

have you tried pointing the outlet at the nearest wall of the tank? That cuts down a lot.

also the further down in the water they are, the less current they appear to create.

yes and can't go further down, I did buy a cheap hang on filter on TM tonight to test in the smaller aquarium, maybe that is the solution :smln:

I think your idea of a sparge is the best idea. That way you can get good filteration with a good volume of water without creating current. You can get added aeration by discharging the sparge above the water line (can be noisy) ir below the water line. I have done that in a small terrarium with Japasnese fire bellied newts. My discharge is below some driftwood which reduces the flow even more.

a sparge

thanks, I didn't know what it is called in english. I will test the hang on filter but I probably will go with the sparge in the bigger aquarium. a bit OT but I ask anyway, drift wood, that is another point, can I collect it from the beaches or do I need to collect it from river banks ? (salt content ?)