Waitemata Salinity

wasp

Really looking for some opinions and consensus here, I was over at Craigs today looking at his latest toy, his refractometer. We had some NSW from Takapuna, so he calibrates the refractometer in front of me with the standard calibrating solution, then tests the NSW, and it comes out close to 1.028.

Now can this be possible? As all swing arms seem to be different, I've been running my tank using Takapuna NSW as the standard, which I thought was 1.025.

Anybody else got any insights into this?

Temprature? Some refractomoters don't compensate for temprature?

Calibration soultion? You mean distilled water?

Suspended material, bubbles on the reading surface can all make a difference. Do you have another tank to check it against (that is another refractometer).

Nothing wrong with .028. I am not sure what the ocean water is here, been so long since I tested. All that matters in the end is the salinity of the tank water :) So unless you are doing MASSIVE water changes, you should be fine.

I only assume mine is right, I have never tested against another. Stability is more important I think.

Pieman

When I've tested the water when I collect it it usually comes up as 1.028 and my refractometer is supposed to be ATC. Maybe I'm not giving it time to compensate, I dunno how the ATC mechanism works.:) But, mostly I just worry about keeping my tank's salinity stable.

I can remember back in 1986, when I got my first FO set up, Ralph Jansen told me the way to do it was get water from Takapuna, and dilute by 10%.

Perhaps he was right all the time!

BTW a little nostalgia for those who remember, Jansens was at that time operating from a little brick place that later became a corner dairy. Times move on :D

really interested to find out what the salinity of takapuna water is at the moment.... changed 150l on sunday, but did not even bother to check it.............

will test tank tonight, c where it is.

in the past my cheap floating thingy has always read 1.025 for taka water...... and seems in line with other peoples readings.