Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Aulonocara kandeense

Featured Replies

Hi all. Who has some? and long long before the males colour up completely? and finallydoes anyone know who breed them?

I got mine from HFF about a month ago and noticed yesterday that the larger individuals, which I presume to be males, have just got their blaze and a slight blue tinge to their bodies. The egg spots look pretty good on both the males and females thou. :happy1:

I guess it is a waiting game :cofn: but from everything I have read they colour up very slowly. :spop:

My Lithobates male has been in the tank for about a year and besides his blaze their is no colour thus far :an!gry.

I guess the old saying from Kung Fu comes to mind 'patience grasshopper'.

The Kandeense are very slow and males only really show awesome colour when breeding.. The lithobate should be doing something though? What are you feeding?

I am breeding Aulonocara maylandi since 1996.

It might be better to call them Sulfurhead Aulonocara instead of Blue Orchid Peacock but that name has been used for a long time now and will be difficult to change it.

I didn’t photograph them for a long time so here is a picture of a breeding male I took in 2007.

Aulonocara-maylandi.jpg

I am breeding Aulonocara maylandi since 1996.

It might be better to call them Sulfurhead Aulonocara instead of Blue Orchid Peacock but that name has been used for a long time now and will be difficult to change it.

I didn’t photograph them for a long time so here is a picture of a breeding male I took in 2007.

Aulonocara-maylandi.jpg

Nice fish boban_nz :hail::hail::hail: !!! but the blue Orchid peacock is different from the Sulfur head, both belongs to the genus maylandi, but are different species. One has the yellow blaze and the other the white blaze.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/a ... _types.php

I currently have three of this guys (blue orchid) in my juvies tank, but I got them from tropheus. His Male is a stunning fish too.

Cheers

  • Author

Yup, blue orchid are the ones with the white blaze.

I am wondering if tropheus breed these ones as well - No different strain. Fingers crossed it is a nice line.

The Kandeense are very slow and males only really show awesome colour when breeding.. The lithobate should be doing something though? What are you feeding?

NLS, cichlid - daily and the once a week, some bloodworms.

Yup, blue orchid are the ones with the white blaze.

I am wondering if tropheus breed these ones as well - No different strain. Fingers crossed it is a nice line.

.

I saw them and they look just like the ones that I bought from tropheus. :thup:

Cheers!!!

...I got mine from HFF about a month ago ...

Well I think the fish on the picture is an ancestor of your fish. Ask HFF where the fish came from. I also believe that tropheus got the fish from the very same source sometime in the past. Aulonocara maylandi kandeensis, as far as I know, has never been imported into NZ.

I think that the problem is that the wholesalers name of the fish (Blue orchid peacock) along with the fish age leads to the conclusion that the fish is Aulonocara maylandi kandeensis and that has been adopted in the cichlid community.

Yellow blaze is not present always, a fish could be old well over a year before starting to show if the fish is in a good environment.

:nfs: This one is the male blue orchid of Tropheus and father of mines... looks much more silver there (normally it looks dark blue according to Tropheus) but it was pale because was sharing the fish tank with an Aulonocara baenshi so it was a bit stressed, but you can see the stunning white blaze tho...

DSCF2098-1.jpgDSCF2097-1.jpg

DSCF2095-1.jpg

and this is one is a sulfur head from a friend in Canada :nfs:

DSC_0661.jpg

DSC_0662.jpg

DSC_0669.jpg

Cheers

  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.