How much flow is too much?

Belgianbiscuit

Hi,

I replaced my duck mouth outlet with a spray bar and this caused more flow. There is now movement in most plants as previously there was not.

Now I am wondering if there is not too much flow?

I placed the spray bar on the side of the tank and positioned it so the holes are parallel with the water surface.

Would it be better to aim the outlet down?

Cheers

Hi,

I replaced my duck mouth outlet with a spray bar and this caused more flow. There is now movement in most plants as previously there was not.

Now I am wondering if there is not too much flow?

I placed the spray bar on the side of the tank and positioned it so the holes are parallel with the water surface.

Would it be better to aim the outlet down?

Cheers

Can the fish sit in one place without moving their tail or fins? Then you have too little flow. Are the fish swirling around the tank helplessly in the current until they get sick and throw up? Then you have too much. Anywhere in between is fine.

My tank doesn't have very much current and it's turning over about 10-13 times per hour. It's twice the volume of yours but with two of the filters you have plus a pair of 3000LPH powerheads.

The flow may be a wee much at the surface.

Is it ok to control flow with the outlet tap on my filter? Or would that have an impact on filtration?

If so, how can I lessen the flow?

Cheers

If you have the skill you can make all the spray bar holes slightly bigger