My crans bullies have spawned :D

twinkles

They've been looking like they were getting ready to for a couple of days, mrs bully getting even rounder than normal and sort of pink bellied. Could see the eggs through her skin last night and she looked ready to explode. Mr bully was blacker than I'd ever seen him, picked himself out a spot and spent all his time flaring at her and at the smaller male bully, and trying to dance her into his spot. She swam around looking at both boys and checking out all the corners. Got them on film last night..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDHUyUbc6j4

Sorry about the algae on the front of the tank :oops:

Smaller boy bully flared and darkened up for her a few times before mr bully chased him to a far corner and made him stay there. Anyway this morning they're both in that hollow under the wood and they've got eggs :happy1:

550856_489096504437807_1969658586_n.jpg

550856_489096504437807_1969658586_n.jpg

Here's another vid, terrible quality because it's too dark in that corner and I don't want to disturb them with a torch..

I think i'll just have to let nature (read:smelt) take it's course sadly, if they hatch I could try and take some out to rear but then I can't do anything with them except keep them all.

congrats, have you had a spawn before?

Nope, can't you tell from the way I had to video the whole occasion :slfg:

He's got masses of eggs that I can see and probably plenty more that I can't, and she looks so skinny compared to yesterday hehe

they will take about 3 weeks or so to hatch, have a read of http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=55357 from last spring in my tanks.

I didn't think any survived from any of my spawns but last night I saw a small, what looked like a common, bully in the 430l tank. I'm sure I've not put any bullies that small in since last spring so I'm thinking that I had one fry survive all the hungry mouths in there.

Here's another vid, terrible quality because it's too dark in that corner and I don't want to disturb them with a torch..

I think i'll just have to let nature (read:smelt) take it's course sadly, if they hatch I could try and take some out to rear but then I can't do anything with them except keep them all.

love the sound effects :P

• 3 years later...