Fixing a cracked tank

Squirt

Hi all,

My neighbors tank has cracked. Tanks roughly 90x30x45cm (LxWxH). It is the base of the tank and it has cracked in an X shape, about 20x20cm. What would be the best course of action? Repair the base with a glass patch and silicone in between, or replace the whole base of the tank.

Is it safe to patch it? Would use 5mm glass. Since it is in the corner, I would have to remove some silicone on the inside and then place the glass in the corner so it sits flush to the side glass (does that make sense? :roll: ).

Other option which is clearly more expensive is to replace the whole base, remove the silicone and clean it up then replace the base.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

first thing to do is sand the top of the cracks with fine sand paper to remove build up then use a glob of silicone on each join of the cracks only do this lightly and smooth it out the add the silicone to middle and then back over the joins and should be sweet

Oh ok, so adding a glass support would help aswell? Just for peace of mind? I've got some 180 grit sandpaper from my last project so will just use that. She said she'll pick up some silicone (aquarium safe) tomorrow so I will see how it goes :thup:

Thanks

Steady on :) I'm very good at fixing up cracked tanks, my only failures have been the tanks that are bigger than 3ft! So I recommend replacing the glass on anything bigger than that..

Biggest thing with repairing cracks is to make sure that it has finished running its course and there are no points where it might continue from. No point in patching it if when you put water in the crack will continue or spread.

As for repairing it, obviously replacing the whole bottom is the best bet, but cutting all the silicone off the inside cleaning off the glass and patching it works well. Make sure you run some silicone over the cracks and then stick the patch on then seal around it and it should be all good.

Yeah, I went round today and well anther crack down the other end of the tank has developed. I told her to look into replacing the bottom panel or go to the LFS to get a custom made fish tank made.

I figured it wasn't safe patching two cracks.