Whitebait

newaqua

Hello all.

Just a quick question, has anyone had any experience with Whitebait in a tropical tank?

I am wanting to know what the temperature tolerances of them are, but cant find much online.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Smelt like below 17 deg (sometimes in the whitebait catch)

G. fasciatus, banded kokopu, like below 18

G.maculatus, inanga, like about 18

G. brevipinnis, Koaro, like below 18

G. argenteus, Giant kokopu, like below 18

G. postvectis, Shortjawed kokopu,like below 18

See Thermal tolerance and preference of some native New Zealand freshwater fish pages 6 & 7

So short answer is don't do it

Cool all good to know. Sorry I didn't mean to say I was going to do it, we were just talking about what the tolerances of temperatures they could take. Getting stuck in pools of water in the sun etc etc.

Thanks Guys!

G.maculatus, inanga, like about 18

You just made me think when I'm sleepy :cofn:. I have a nagging feeling I'm forgetting something but here we go-

for a fish with distribution extending to tropical areas, are our stock more prone to higher temperatures than others? Briefly remember reading a study on south american maculatus temperature tolerance, may have to dig it up.

Guess could be of interest to gene flow study too.

You just made me think when I'm sleepy :cofn:. I have a nagging feeling I'm forgetting something but here we go-

for a fish with distribution extending to tropical areas, are our stock more prone to higher temperatures than others? Briefly remember reading a study on south american maculatus temperature tolerance, may have to dig it up.

Guess could be of interest to gene flow study too.

Please.

If I can remember the distribution of G. maculatus It doesn't extend that far north in South America (looks to only be about 35deg south)