Shellies

F15hguy

Have a customer interested in a harem of Lamprologus ocellatus. a species I have not kept before.

any ideas for potential tank mates in the future. I am leaning towards Brichardi's but wondering if they might get a bit territorial. The person is not too worried about mixing Malawi and Tanganyikans.

Would like to provide useful info

i have them in my tang community including tropheus, leleupi & altolamps. they are feisty little critters and deal with the much large tanks mates well.

Yeah I have had them in a similar setup.. I probably wouldn't recommend brichardi because brichardi are dammed nasty when spawning and you would end up with heaps of scraps between the 2.

How big is the tank they are going to use? Because that would have a huge impact on what would be suitable.

Assuming a reasonable sized 4ft tank I would recommend some altos and tropheus if they wanted to stay with tangs.

If they didn't really mind using malawis then they could use some yellows and maybe Dems and/or peacocks. Just watch out for any haps that will get big enough to eat the shellies.

• 2 weeks later...
i have recntly just got some shellies. And wasnt sure of possible tank mates as well. so this has excited me as i was thinking about adding them to my dem/yellow tank. now reading this i think that will be the rite tank for them

I have never tried them with the dems but I suspect they would be ok if they were of a good size when they were added and there are was plenty of space, have seen them with yellows plenty of times :)