SPotlighting: banded kokopu

Stella

had another fantastic day fishing.

Lifted some traps in a small lake.

206 common bullies! :o

And one single little smelt.

One trap contained 64 bullies! :o:o:o:o

025Medium.jpg

There were very high numbers of fish with these parasitic worms. They were about an inch long and red, coiled up into a ball between the skin and muscle.

074Medium-1.jpg

041Medium.jpg

Then last night we spotlighted a cruddy little stream at Castlecliff, Wanganui, as a local had reported seeing lots of what he thought were giant kokopu there.

It was easy access but then steep sides to the stream, and I nearly fell in several times. Had to be hauled out of deep mud before I sunk in and permanently smelled like to Bog of Eternal Stench.

Then we had to clear the duckweed off the top before we could stoplight.

But we found:

100Medium.jpg

Now I realise I need to alter my Juvenile Kokopu Identification Techniques.

Juvenile bandeds have vertical bands that are clearly outlined in the middle then fade out top and bottom OR EXTEND ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP AND BOTTOM OF THE BODY.

This chap (and others I remember seeing) have crisp edges all the way around the amber stripes, like a giant kokopu, BUT a giant kokopu stripes do not that extend so far up and down.

THEN:

113Medium.jpg

111Medium.jpg

110Medium.jpg

115Medium.jpg

It was interesting, when this chap 'walked' he clearly wasn't just moving his spine sideways to walk like a lizard, he was actually lifting each 'foot' every time.

You should have messaged me and I would have come along. I am pretty sure I know the stream you found these in. I have seen plenty of Inanga in that stream during the day but I tend not to hang around those parts of town at night time. Especially with a spotlight.

Its not the wildlife you need to be wary of there. :sml2:

Whoops, yes the big one is a banded.

Sorry Supasi, I was thinking of you but everything happened rather quickly. If you get this in time and can come tonight (Friday), drop me an email :)

I agree about not really wanting to be in the area at night.... the kokopu are brave ;)

• 9 months later...