how did you find your power bill on the hobby???

wee2

Buy my rough calculations with the cost of running that tank, assuming the heater is running 50% of the time is $5.07. Heater on 100% of the time would be $7.88. Is assumes that the unit cost of electricity is 26c per KWh

How did you get to this? Interested to see what my tanks would be doing...

Buy my rough calculations with the cost of running that tank, assuming the heater is running 50% of the time is $5.07. Heater on 100% of the time would be $7.88. Is assumes that the unit cost of electricity is 26c per KWh

How did you get to this? Interested to see what my tanks would be doing...

Wow, really interested clearly. :slfg:

It's easy to do. Light wattage times hours on per month + heater wattage times hours on per month+Filters etc wattage times hours per month=watt hours per month. One thousand watt hours=1 kilowatt hour so divide by 1000. Kilowatt hours times KW hour price=monthly bill.

I think that unless you are running more than 2x200-300L tanks, you will find it pretty insignificant, and your energy is better spent finding other uses of electricity in your home to cap. of course, marine + coldwater(chilled) setups are going to use more than your average, but there is also alot more chance for things like stray current etc in these setups that can cause more power usage/waste on top of the extra gear running...

You can get power meters that will give you an exact Kwh reading, and with the right setup a $value, that your tank is using from the warehouse or electric store, monthly power bill $ amounts are going to vary wildly depending on household (Ladies, I'm looking at you...) , time of year, energy company, etc. Good for generalisations, but we're not going to come to any hard/fast solutions guesstimating.

Just saying...

It's easy to do. Light wattage times hours on per month + heater wattage times hours on per month+Filters etc wattage times hours per month=watt hours per month. One thousand watt hours=1 kilowatt hour so divide by 1000. Kilowatt hours times KW hour price=monthly bill.

Assuming 100% performance... :wink:

someone is onto it ey! :thup:

I got one of those power meters off trade me so running 5 tanks , heaters , pumps , filters is costing me $1.16 per day (about 300 L of water ). i have just lined my fish room with batts , but im about to add another 2 tanks ( 200 L of water) , so maybe the savings from the insulation will counteract the extra 2 tanks !