help on selection of tropicals for a beginner

koiboy

Looks good. I'm not sure what the volume of a 30" tank is? But I don't see any obvious problems and it doesn't look overstocked.

By the way, I'd forget the 1inch of fish per gallon. It's really pretty meaningless...I guess you could adjust it by putting in some kind of exponential adjustment...But anyway, two 4" kribs do not equal one 8" fish. An 8" fish would be something like two 4" kribs long, two 4" kribs wide and two 4" kribs tall, so it'd be worth about eight 4" kribs.:) And comparing it to Danios it'd be about 4X4X4=64 danios worth one 8" fish. I'm sure it probably doesn't work exactly mathematically like that, but it's a LOT closer.

I meant that if you put them together you get a length of 8".

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I think that I am happy with my fish list and will probably buy what is on it.

The tank has been running since 24th august now, with nothing in it. I have not done fishless cycling, and believe that the best way to add the fish would be to put the zebra danios in fist, and let them cycle the tank, am i right?

I think the gallonage is about 22gallons, but if i was to convert my other tank, I would have 29 gallons.

I will take the advice about the positioning of the slate structure, and would like to ask whether i need to make any speacial considerations in the layout of the rest of the tank, for territorial purposes?

Also what would be the dimensions of the slate structure, and would it be open at both ends or butt up against the glass, with perhaps a hole in the top, so as you can enter at the front and swim up through (if you were a fish)?

Thanks again for the help, like I asy I wont be stocking until 2 weeks time as Im going on holiday in a weeks time.

Thanks again,

Matt :D

did you not hear form chris at boronia aquarium that I could not accept the $25 gift voucher cos i am in the uk.

I emailed hm to let him know and he replied with if i give him my postage adress, he will post me some goods anyway. Very kind of him if oyu ask me. :lol:

Looks like these fish will be coming out of my own money - nooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!. well, actually, i dont mind, because the tank i got was free. i dont know whether I told you, but I went to the rubbish dump to get rid of some rubbish (that figures), and there was a man about to throw away this tank. I didnt ask him for it, cos he might have asked me to give him some £££££££, instead I waited till he had put it on the pile and drove off. I then asked the attendnat if i could take it and he said that I could, that must be my biggest bargain yet, as it came with hood and lights. :lol: :lol:

Regards Matt 8)

Hi Matt,

No I hadn't heard about that. You'll be lucky to get seven quid out of it I recon. You would have thought they would have specified that before the compertition started as they have members from all parts of the globe.

Good score on the tank though, and with hood and lights no less :)

It's amazing what some people throw away these days.

REgards,

Bill (Pegasus)

Actually on the subject of what people will throw away nowadays, I sometimes see some nice looking furniture which would be good for tank cabinets. the only problem is tou're not supposed to take things from the dump (something to do with health and safety acts), but if you spot someone throwing away someting, or just thrown something away, you can have it with their permission. Unfortunately i usually miss the person whos dumping the furniture and usually rthe attendant wont let you have the stuff. :evil: :evil:

Regards,

Matt :)

Oh by the way, its funny you should mention me only getting about £7 for the equivalent of the voucher,because i was looking at boronias online shop, and theres not much you can get for $25.

Seven quid would get me 7 neon tetras, or 6 swordtails, or 3 mollies.

I dont know how that matches up with what YOU could get though.

I am in The South West of England, In bristol. bristol is opposite Cardiff, which is just across the river severn. I dont know whether you know where I'm talking about, but there you go. Bristol is probaly most famous for the Suspension Bridge, Its Replica of 'The Matthew'(boat), SS Great Britain is also docked here, We have cabot tower and um, well, lots and lots of rain.

How does that compare to where you live? :lol:

regards,

Matt 8)

I have been doing more thinking about my tank and have come up with a stock list that I think I like. I have still not planted the tank as I havent had time yet although may do it tomorrow, and the earliest that I will be stocking with fish is not next saturday, but the saturday after.

I have been reading and have read that If i wanted to I could keep Kribensis as community fish. If this is so, then here is my proposed stocking list.

2 x Kribensis (male and female) max size = 8" (combined)

3 x Dwarf Gouramis (1 male, 2 female) max size = 6" (combined)

4 x Zebra Danios max size = 8" (combined)

4 x PLaties (2 varieties, Male and female of each) max size 8" (combined)

I will also probably be getting a catfish/scavenger,.

Would it be Okay to put Kribensis in with this mixture, in a 30" tank. I may convert my 36" tank to hold these tropicals at a later date (if i can temporarily home the goldfish) so they will have more space. I am going to put a slate structure in the tank for the Kribensis, and smaller fish will have the driftwood, and upturned flower pot to go if things get nasty with Kribensis. Would this work?

By the way, I have decided not to go for fancy plants, just your ordinary begginers ones.

PLease tell me if you think this stocking list will not work, or if you have any suggestions to improve it.

Thanks for your help,

Matt

Sorry, I meant to put them in the order I was getting them. This order is the order I will add them and each species will be added at one week intervals (weekends are the only time I have to get the fish).

1)Zebra Danios (to cycle the tank)

2)Platies

3)Dwarf Gouramis

4)Kribensis

5)The catfish will be last as I have research to do as yet.

Do you know whether the slate structure for the Kribs has to be open ended on both ends or just one?

Thanks for oyur time,

Matt