skimmer or not

keenas

I have a tank 850 ltr, i have had skimmer in it but now the pump has packed up, i have been told that i need skimmer by some and some places have tol me that now you can just do more water changes and buy the bags with nit etc to put in your filter so don't worry about skimmer, can anyone tell me the best way of going with this please.

skimmer would be the best way you could get away with water changes more volume and more often in the meantime what type of skimmer is it perhaps somebody on here has a cheap spare pump that could fit

I have a tank 850 ltr, i have had skimmer in it but now the pump has packed up, i have been told that i need skimmer by some and some places have tol me that now you can just do more water changes and buy the bags with nit etc to put in your filter so don't worry about skimmer, can anyone tell me the best way of going with this please.

Get a new pump.

Yes, you can manage without a skimmer. Just like you can manage without power assisted brakes on your car...It's more work, riskier and you'll probably have worse results.

to get away from a skimmer takes alot of extra water volume, and usually a mature refugium that would be packed to the hilt with macro algae / algae scrubbers and then still have to increase water changes...

For the size, convenience, and results that you see with a properly tuned/sized skimmer, there really is no contest...