Who has used ceramic noodles as mechanical pre filter? good?

henward

ok, i am changing my fx5 configuartion

i am looking at putting standard bio noodles as a first tray media - as a mech and pre filter, then wool, then bio media.

Now,

is this effective to catch debris? or will it just catch a tiny portion of it and let the wool do most of the work.

my other 2, i have course foam on the top tray, works very well, high flow and catches HEAPS of gunk.

should i stick to that or use noodles?

ok, i am changing my fx5 configuartion

i am looking at putting standard bio noodles as a first tray media - as a mech and pre filter, then wool, then bio media.

Now,

is this effective to catch debris? or will it just catch a tiny portion of it and let the wool do most of the work.

my other 2, i have course foam on the top tray, works very well, high flow and catches HEAPS of gunk.

should i stick to that or use noodles?

Should be better than nothing, but I doubt it would be as good as a coarse sponge.

no, its not that its 'broke'

i am increasing mechanical capacity

i am moving bio media to the sump which can probably process sewage.

then ill add a mech before wool. so wool doesnt clog as fast and in total the filter can contain more mech debris. noodles were designed to not only be bio but also to be mech, but wondering ow effective vs foam.

Gidday Henward,

Stick to the coarse sponge. Ceramic noodles are designed for biological filtration, many micropores, by using it as a mechanical filtration you are limiting its effectiveness. Coarse sponge is designed for mech filtation with added benefit of biological filtration. More bang for your buck. Ill have some spare bits of PORET foam in various thicknesses and densities arriving in a couple of weeks that can be cut down to fit any application if you need.

Think its about time for an update pic of Brutus. Good looking formosus

Cheers

Stick to the coarse sponge. Ceramic noodles are designed for biological filtration, many micropores, by using it as a mechanical filtration you are limiting its effectiveness. Coarse sponge is designed for mech filtation with added benefit of biological filtration. More bang for your buck.

This :thup: