Manukau/South Auckland Club

HummingBird

Sorry to hear that. They only have 4 or 5 members and meet every so often for dinner. The secretary is away a lot with his Boccia team and a couple of others have been overseas a lot. I will see if I can find someone to contact for you.

Hi HummingBird. I'm interested in that South Auckland club as I'm just down the road from you in Howick.

If anybody connected with that club sees this, could they PLEASE give us some information on activities - or even advise us if it's died.

If there is enough interest, maybe we should organise a meeting in the area and see if we can get something off the ground.

Meanwhile, I'm intending to visit the North Shore Club on March 1st - I hope that's the correct date.

I am out Howick Botany way also and just getting back intoTropical Fish again after purchasing a second tank this week! My parents belonged to a Howick Tropical Fish Club about 25 years ago - started up by a neighbor at the time - but long since gone. There could be a few of us. :D

A good place to start I would think would firstly be to gather all interested parties from this site that are in the area and if they know of anyone that isn't get them to pass the info on and organise a time to meet, whether one of you open up your home to all and sunder or if you decide to meet at the local cafe for a coffee.

And then you can dicide if you have enough to start a new club or whether to merge with the next closest club to you and have the meeting at a central point between the two areas.

JMO Tho

B

What do you call enough??

If you only have half a dozen or so, you are off.

Get in touch with the FNZAS secretary and find out what a new club has to do, and is expected of it.

I advertised on the local radio and got a group together.

Step out into the cold, it's not that hard.

But one thing is for sure, when you get the ppl that will be doing the "donkey-work" for the club.

Respect the fact that they are volunteers and not floor mats.

Help them out, they are doing the work for the benefit of the other club members, and hopefully the improvement of you skills in the hobby.

Therefore, the improvement OF the hobby.

Alan 104

YOU will find out exactly what I mean.

Alan 104

I have PMd someone (can't remember who just at the moment) with "how to start up a club" so here's hoping you get it off the ground.

Our club started with someone putting an advert in the local paper asking anyone interested in keeping fish to meet at their place at a certain time and date.

We also put flyers up in supermarkets and community noticeboards like in malls, vets, libraries, scholls etc.

Decide where and when the meeting is to be, advertise and see who turns up.

From there you need to elect officers and decide which meeting night suits the majority.

If you want to affiliate to the FNZAS then it costs $5 per head plus the club pays $25 per year for the Year Books. Membership entitles members to free Aquarium World magazines and a Year Book listing all affiliated members, their details and interests plus lots of other information. Many lfs offer discount to FNZAS members too.