skitterish fish in tank 18 inches above floor level

jamie1942

i have a two tiered fish tank housing two 4 foot tanks my problem is the fish in top tank at eye height seem to do well while fish in bottom tank appear skitterish i have heard that the fish in bottom tank would feel uncomfortable just viewing my legs going past tank is approximately 18 inches off the ground and this maybe correct however i am left with this two tier setup and am wondering if other people have had this problem and successfully rectified it any ideas

Wear trousers if your legs are that upsetting :wink:

It is not something I have ever noticed in lower tanks. Are the tanks in a high traffic area? What fish and is the tank well planted? They might just be skittish in their surroundings, rather than your legs having anything to do with it.

I have noticed this too. I had a tank on a lower shelf and the fish were very skitterish I moved them to another lower shelf across the room and they settled.

Where I first had them there was a window behind me when I was in front of them. I wondered if when I walked past my shadow was above them and freaked them out.

thankyou for your replies and also editors comments we do need a bit of humour i suppose definitely here in earthquake city however this is a problem that is not really funny to me as it is not good i dont think to have fish behaving like they are on a race track and bashing themselves against the glass the angels i am talking about are in a bare tank as i am trying to get them to breed and the suggestion re reflection i will certainly look at thankyou it does make some sense heres hoping something will now work and they will settle down

I have a set up like that and have not had a problem with fish getting skittish. It will be because it is a bare tank and they are breeding (mine was well planted). Put paper or something over the bit where they see you but be careful when you go to have a sneaky look.

They can bahave like they are on "P" when breeding sometimes.