Researching bearded dragon care...

Raetea

If you are referring to mercury vapor bulbs, I'm not sure if there are 100w ones available in NZ at the moment. If there are, I haven't seen any for sale.

Contact Lance at Proud Paws in ChCh. I think there is some 100W ones coming in November. As Hothouse siad though test the temps in the enclosure first with the bulb running...I think 100W would be fine for that size though...but its a pretty small enclosure for beardies though aye.......

Ah. That size enclosure might be around the biggest I can go in our small place, due to lots of windows. I read it from a few sources while researching as the minimum size - and the beardie would get taken out quite a bit, so I figured it would be okay for 1 beardie?

Hopefully I can go a bit bigger, no point getting a beardie if I can't fit a big enough enclosure along the wall for him/her :(

What would you personally recommend as the minimum size? Having had enclosure pets before, I know how important this is.

Cheers

With beardies being Strain they need some assistance. Many do not recognise standing water so I put them in a plastic container and feed them crickets (they can be bity little darlins) then when consumed I spray them with warm water and let them sit for about 20 minutes. This prevents them from getting dehydrated.

Ah. That size enclosure might be around the biggest I can go in our small place, due to lots of windows. I read it from a few sources while researching as the minimum size - and the beardie would get taken out quite a bit, so I figured it would be okay for 1 beardie?

Hopefully I can go a bit bigger, no point getting a beardie if I can't fit a big enough enclosure along the wall for him/her :(

What would you personally recommend as the minimum size? Having had enclosure pets before, I know how important this is.

Cheers

I wouldn't worry too much Raetea, 4ftx2ftx2ft is the normal standard size people generally keep their beardies in.

And is fine for a single beardy. Just make sure he/she gets time out of the viv. :)

With beardies being Strain they need some assistance. Many do not recognise standing water so I put them in a plastic container and feed them crickets (they can be bity little darlins) then when consumed I spray them with warm water and let them sit for about 20 minutes. This prevents them from getting dehydrated.

Yea I offer my wee man an eye dropper of water on days it's not bath time. He apparently drunk from a bowl when I got him but atm the only time I've seen him go near it is when an insect fell in lol.

I wouldn't worry too much Raetea, 4ftx2ftx2ft is the normal standard size people generally keep their beardies in.

And is fine for a single beardy. Just make sure he/she gets time out of the viv. :)

True. For single beardie all good. I keep 3 in a 5 x 2 x2. Just need the extra size so the girls can hang out away from the boy. May I suggest you invest in an old hutch or similar so you can put him/her out for some sun occasionally. Just make sure dragon can chill in the shade no matter what angle of sun.

True. For single beardie all good. I keep 3 in a 5 x 2 x2. Just need the extra size so the girls can hang out away from the boy. May I suggest you invest in an old hutch or similar so you can put him/her out for some sun occasionally. Just make sure dragon can chill in the shade no matter what angle of sun.

Excellent - glad to know that size will be okay then :) We have a lovely sunny deck so s/he will certainly also have an outdoor enclosure too for nice days.

Regarding outdoor enclosures - do those of you who have beardies still put them out for a bit of sun in winter, or on days where while sunny, it's still not very warm? NZ temperatures can drop so quickly.

I was just wondering how they fare when they aren't in the warmth of their tank,- even if just out for a cruise around on the sofa. They must get 'cold' eventually? I imagine a good beardie owner knows when it is time for their dragon to go back into it's enclosure where it has everything it needs.

may find if left outdoors for a week or two they would utilise ye old sun more.

have seen a few bds, and skinks, freak out when put in outdoor enclosures for only a couple of hours here and there and consequently they often just hide defeating the purpose.

instead of offering a place for them to fully hide just an open area that is shaded may encourage them back out to bask instead of sulking about in a hide

adult bds can tolerate fairly low temps at night provided they get a chance to warm up and do what they do during the day.

people stress too much about temps for their bd`s etc.They do get extremes at both ends of the scale in the wild and can cope.My adult pair for example are outdoors unheated and have been since october.They are both in excess of 10 years old now.All i do for them is cover them up on rainy nights.I will bring them in soon for the winter but the wetness is of more concern.

Really appreciating every ones input into this thread - it's great to hear advice directly from NZ beardie keepers. Especially regarding outdoor dragons in summer.

*starts fantasizing about a really cool adventure enclosure on the deck for summer*

Has anyone got any advice regarding the pros and cons of getting a juvenile dragon, vs. an adult?

I'm pretty set on a juvenile at the moment. I'd like to experience my beardie growing into an adult etc. However I'm also interested to hear other peoples thoughts/experiences. TIA :)

Not a lot of baby beardies about this year. Seems the same all over--not sure why, but gives the ladies a rest I guess.

Yea been a really bad season for them.

On that note there are still babies at 2 pet stores here in Christchurch.

Pet and garden (they all have really nice colouring)

Proud paws (not 100% sure they still have them, there was still 2 a week ago)

I would be inclined to go the way of a young one and grow them up.The thing is they grow that quickly when cared for properly its not that much of an issue?Also you know that you have given it all it needs and it has had optimum food etc.

you might as well have it for as long as you can and get to know all about the individual.I bought a leopard gecko on a bit of a whim recently(was cheap??) and I have never ever seen it eat,can`t pick it up because it will try and bite me,squawks like an angry chook and has obviously never been handled?if you get the young one you can teach it to like you.

Yea been a really bad season for them.

On that note there are still babies at 2 pet stores here in Christchurch.

Pet and garden (they all have really nice colouring)

Proud paws (not 100% sure they still have them, there was still 2 a week ago)

I'm getting a beardie next year when I'm all set up for one. :) And yes, not many about this year - so just as well I'm not after one sooner!

What's a reasonable amount to expect to pay for one? I saw some babies on trademe recently for $400 ish. I haven't seen any cheaper than that. I've also seen 5 year old adults for nearly $600. Haven't seen any in the pet stores yet, but I imagine they would be much more expensive.

*Edited typos*

There may be a lot more around next season in which case the price could come down. I would think 2-3 hundred from a breeder, obviously more from a retailer.

Yea I agree there, about 200-300 hundred from a breeder, 350-450 from a pet store. Animates would probably cost even more.

• 1 month later...