How to market a large tank for sale?

David R

As most of you know, I am trying to sell my 1400L set up before I relocate back to Whangarei in a months time to save the hassle of shifting it, storing it for 6-12 months, then shifting it again. How ever given the size and the fairly specific nature of the set up (low stand, sump designed to be plumbed through the wall behind the tank instead of under it, etc) I think it is going to be a pretty hard sell. I'm not too keen to drop my pants on the price either as its all pretty new and quality gear, and I will be setting up another large tank in the future so if I can't get the right price I'll keep it and just have to get around the difficulties of moving it.

So, in terms of strategy, I could either A; keep trying to flog the whole set up hoping the right person with either the right spot or the willingness to modify it to suit comes along or, B; try sell the individual parts. I'd be happy to keep the stand (although I was hoping to go wider with my next big tank, I'd be happy to stick with the same footprint if I still have the stand), the pump and heaters, the bio media, and even the sump if I can't sell that. Its really just the tank I don't want to have to move! To me it seems like selling off the parts separately is the way to go, but what are they worth? I don't know what the market for big used tank is like, but what would be a reasonable price for a 2400x977x620mm tank in 12mm glass with overflow and custom background?

Sorry don't have much experience with price of big tanks (I just pay what you ask :slfg: ) but I think your setup is a great package for someone looking for a tank that size. The $1500 you are asking is too cheap imo but of course the demand is low for tanks this size. I think at least tank and stand should go together since the meassurements are not standard.

Don't rule out the possibility of having the sump underneath the tank. That's what I would have done if I'd had the space for your tank. I would have just put the stand up on a frame or blocks or whatever to give it that extra height and to be able to have sump underneath. Other people might want it higher off the ground too so that would work perfectly.

Having seen this tank a few times now I can only say that it is a fantastic setup and the possibilities for it are endless... Sorry can't buy it cos your other two tanks are in the way of where it would go :slfg:

i don't think price is the "be all and end all" of a setup like that, more about the right person wanting t i think. dropping the price will bring people that aren't thinking about a setup like that into the game i think but if you do sell all parts separately then i think that you'll have more luck as there may be some that are looking for just some parts although they may also tend to ask if you'll part with a specific piece separately.

as a complete setup it is a lot of money, as parts it's more achievable for someone on a budget or if they have specific skills that can save them money. If i was into another tank I would buy the tank and sump only and build the stand myself for example. what do you think?

If I had a $1000 with nothing to do I would try and get the other 500 off SWMBO, it looks such a nice setup. The only other problem I would have is where to put it, 2.4 x 1m is a lot of floor space for most home and the only place I could put it would be the garage, and that would be a shame for such a nice tank.

I think you're right Smidey, no point in dropping the price any further, but once the current auction has finished I'll try selling just the tank by itself and if the buyer wants any of the other gear they can negotiate.

Would make a great tank for your tangs.... :lol:

Having seen this tank a few times now I can only say that it is a fantastic setup and the possibilities for it are endless... Sorry can't buy it cos your other two tanks are in the way of where it would go :slfg:

solved then! Sell those two tanks and replace it with the 2400mm one :)

I could accommodate this tank on my office deck .. but the transport costs to Napier would be killer.

David R, what is the cost of putting it in storage versus setting it up again from scratch later?

Not so much the cost, more the work and inconvenience of having to move a tank that takes 6-8 people to lift. The other reason I'd be happy to sell the tank and keep the rest (even though it will cost more when I need a new tank) is so I'm not restricted by the location of the drains when choosing where to set it up. W're hoping to build a place once we're settled in Whangarei, but whether it will have a location that suits having the drains at the back right is unknown. A new tank would allow me more options for where it goes.

I thought he did $1R it? Or there was another tank which looked very similar....

No you're right, I decided the hassle of moving the tank was greater than selling it cheap. Really just want the tank gone, the rest of the gear I'll keep, or sell to the buyer if they want it.