Using peat moss

showtime

It clouds the water and makes a hell of a mess.

Sophia, how did you manage to use it as a substrate? Didn't it stir up everytime a fish swam past or you stuck your hand in the tank?

I use it in my plant pots but it is covered with a layer of sand and it isn't a problem.

If you want to lower the pH, try oak leaves, indian almond leaves or elder cones.

Also this peat looks good - http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/detail/view/vip-aquarium-peat-150g/m/947/

Thanks for your comments.

I'd thought the idea was going to be to put in a small bag and put into my external fluval. But not a good idea then?

To use the oak leaves, just put in a weighted mesh bag I presume. I have a 4 ft tank. A couple of good handfulls do the trick?

Thanks for your comments.

I'd thought the idea was going to be to put in a small bag and put into my external fluval. But not a good idea then?

To use the oak leaves, just put in a weighted mesh bag I presume. I have a 4 ft tank. A couple of good handfulls do the trick?

Just boil them for a bit and them put the leaves and water into the tank. They don't need to be put in a bag and don't need to be weighted. The boiling makes them sink. And you might need a bit more than a couple of handfuls...

I put the peat in and then fine gravel over the top. Bits still escaped and floated though it wasn't cloudy at all. Can't remember how much I washed it first.

Once it was in I didn't vacuum it and there were no plants, it was the very beginning of my bugs/cory/loach tank, the only other stuff on the bottom was leaves.

If you let it soak till the floaters stop coming out then you can use it without gravel on the top.

I've gone a bob each way. The peat moss was put in a stocking and into my filter last night. I boiled some dry oak leaves for about five minutes and put them into the tank this morning. It was a good sized saucepan full.

How long before I would expect to see changes and how often would you suggest testing hardness and ph?

I never boiled my oak leaves, just put them in and they sunk and started colouring the water maybe a week later. If you don't see any colour you might need to put more in as boiling might have taken the colour out. I also think I cooked the peat in the oven first before soaking it. When I put the peat in the water went dark immediately and then got steadily clearer and lighter until I took it out for other reasons. Actually I do remember it was cloudy but cloudy with dark particles that disappeared eventually.

If you want to get to know what happens you could test daily and then if no significant changes drop it back to once a week till you see a pattern or stop worrying about it.

I used to boil the peat and tip the water into a bare tank then put the peat in the filter and set it running on the bare tank. Used the water (rainwater) to breed tetras etc. Got people down here breeding neons in tapwater with peat these days.

when I collected rainwater from the downpipe off the roof it was already brownish due to leaf matter etc, but it went stagnant after a week or 2. Is that sort of thing OK to use in a tank for fish that like soft water? I presume if it's with a filter it can't go stagnant ??