Am going to go ahead and suspect columnaris...

Squidlet

It seems at the moment I am forever posting in the disease section this last week, I apologize but I could really use some help again.

As many of you would have seen, Ive had issues with my black molly having a fungal spot behind her eye that refuses to budge. She was originally treated with salt, pimafix and melafix. After that had no effect she was treated with a cycle of wunder tonic which also did not help.

On closer inspection in my nano tank, I have discovered 2 dwarf emerald eye rasbora with a small amount of fluffy "cotton wool like growth" on their chins. Cotton mouth? I check my fish each day when I feed them, and have only just noticed this today.

In my 75l tank (where my molly has come from) I have noticed two other mollys with what appears to be a grey film hanging out of there gills occasionally. Its not fluffy but reminds me of the skin that turtles shed when they moult in the water? They are showing no other symptoms or fungal growth though. When I first treated my mollie, I thought of columnaris but as the symptoms didn't quite line up, I assumed it was something else. However after seeing 4 fish, 2 from each tank showing potential signs, perhaps now would be the time to assume I have columnaris in my fish tanks, as I cannot think what else it could be. Due to the highly contagious nature of columnaris, I am considering euthanasing the rasbora in clove oil, and treating the 3 mollies.

Would I better treating the affected fish in a hospital tank or treating both my tanks entirely? Both tanks have bristlenose catfish in them, including babys that are a month old.

I have done water changes on the tanks yesterday and today. Apart from the visible signs all my fish are swimming happily, eating and otherwise look healthy. I cannot see any grey "film" covering the fish, although last night the black molly had patches which since today have disappeared. I do a water change each week, the ph is perfect on both tanks, and water is crystal clear. They have been set up for about 5-6weeks, but were moved with old filter media and water so they did not have to re-cycle.

If anyone has any advice, or ideas on what could be ailing my fish I would love to hear them. Would also love to hear advice on treatment for columnaris. I am hesitant at this point to use Furan 2, after reading the info sheet on it and seeing the harm it can cause to humans. The fishtanks are all in my room (flatmate dosn't much appreciate fish), so would not want to be breathing furan whilst I sleep :yaw2:

I posted a couple of links for Sophia on diseases and one of them was columnaris. I don't know a lot about it except it tends to eat the fish away. Also that it spreads very easily so keep any nets etc used in that tank away from any other tanks and wash your arms really well before putting them in any tanks.

Today I went down to the pet shop and bought second nets, scrubbers etc, and now have separate things for both my tanks. Its interesting that we always advise and are advised to keep stuff separate, but personally it has taken illness in my own tanks to actually make me do it :tears: Now I just hope my fish don't die because of it.

The main thing concerning me about the furan 2, is that it says to use in a well ventilated area or outside, and my bedroom is defiantly not what I would class as well ventilated. My hospital tank is only 20l, which means Id have to divide the furan2 sachets in half for each treatment, which would mean more dust aerosol directly into my bedroom to breathe in. I'm the worlds biggest worry wart unfortunately. :nilly:

Just take it outside with a fish bucket and dissolve the capsule in a small amount of water, then carefully pour the medicated water in. Wear gloves any time you will be in contact with the water and avoid spills. Wash your hands with soap and warm water after handling the medicated tank.