FYI baby Discus look EXACTLY like Black Beard Algae ;-)

roger

I have two lovely Discus who paired off and laid eggs - woo hoo!! The best part is that my other half knows how much I paid for my fish and that I can sell them, so said 'I need another tank to raise them'. Ohhhh - words you only dream about!

Well two days later the other fish in the tank ate the eggs when the Discus wandered away for a bit. But...a couple of days later they laid some more. Day 3 I couldn't see the eggs so presumed they were eaten again but day 4 and I have a closer look with a magnifying glass as the Discus were still hanging around where the eggs were and I have wrigglers!!! The parents are being very protective this time but once the babies start swimming are they going to be gobbled up straight away? I don't have a separate tank yet - working on it.

Ironically I think the wrigglers look exactly like the BBA - but with eyes when you look closely ;-)

36c3f166.jpg

45693a8f.jpg

The other fish are: 3 more Discus, Rams, Cardinal Tetras, Golden Bristlenose, Corydoras Julli. They are all in a med/heavy planted 350l tank with a Fluval FX5 filter, temp is 29 deg C, PH 6.0-6.2, Ammonia and Nitrite always 0 and Nitrate 2ppm - 5ppm. The water is filtered rain water

Cheers

Camille :)

When they become free swimming they will stick close to mum and dad, you will see them sticking to the sides of their parents as the feed of the mucus that is secreted from their parents.

You may find that you may be able to syphon them out when they get abit bigger and pop them into a container and float them in the tank that you have them in now.

Is lots of fun raising Discus Babies.

Good Luck.

When they become free swimming they will stick close to mum and dad, you will see them sticking to the sides of their parents as the feed of the mucus that is secreted from their parents.

You may find that you may be able to syphon them out when they get abit bigger and pop them into a container and float them in the tank that you have them in now.

Is lots of fun raising Discus Babies.

Good Luck.

Oh wow - that would be awesome to do that!!!

Do you think I should give the free swimmers a week with their parents?

Cam :)

I find that the moment the fry detach and are trying to swim they are eaten by the other fish. They initially don't have enough control of their movements to stay close to the parents. You would need to turn your filters off for them to even have a chance and that I do not recommend.

Oh and the fry feed off their parents. The adult discus secrete a 'milk' which I think, but am not certain, is essential to their continued life span.

• 4 weeks later...
The adult discus secrete a 'milk' which I think, but am not certain, is essential to their continued life span.

yeah not essential but definitely best to let them do it if you can; it contains a whole lot of nutrition, hormones, and antibodies