how to keep a tank cool

spaceman

Im currently living in a mining town in the outback of Australia and the temp in my tank sits on about 26 - 27 (no heater) with the air con on and at night but during the day it gets up to around 36 so i started leaving the air con on but after a really expensive power bill i cant leave it on so just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to keep it cool?

Im currently living in a mining town in the outback of Australia and the temp in my tank sits on about 26 - 27 (no heater) with the air con on and at night but during the day it gets up to around 36 so i started leaving the air con on but after a really expensive power bill i cant leave it on so just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to keep it cool?

Big fan blowing on the surface of the water is going to be the cheapest. Might get 5° out of it. And insulate the sides of the tank to keep heat from getting in.

i think its about 250l and the room temp goes up and down depending on the temp outside which has been 38 - 41 lately. hopefully not planing on being here to long but thats a famous saying in this town lol might try the fan idea and see how it goes

thanks

If your night time temperature is much cooler, then a larger tank might be the answer as it will have a larger thermal mass, and might stay more closely to the mean of the day and night temperatures.

I take it no lights are on over the tank, and the tank is placed in the coolest part of the house?

NZ Native keepers need to work to keep their tanks cool.

Common Options:

a) Get a chiller... would it be weird to have a chiller on a tropical tank :)

b) Air con the room to appropriate temp (expensive as you have found)

c) take lids off and point fan at water surface

d) insulate sides and back of tank with poly to restrict heat transfer.

e) freeze water in plastic bottles and float in tank during hot times.

There are pros and cons to all of these options... some works best in combination, i.e. insulate sides and put in water bottles.

Although I don't know how accurate the water bottle idea would be for a tropical tank... you still want it warm, just not steaming hot... whereas with NZ natives we are look at staying under 18 degrees or so.

Hope you suss it out :)

Cheers.