Singapore -buying electronics.

Squirt

I had a small plastic tube of antiseptic powder in my toilet bag in the suitcase. It exploded during the flight. I did not know this until we reached the hotel and I opened my case. Everything was coated in a fine white powder! I was very pleased they had not picked me for a random search through customs :facepalm:

The plastic appeared to be very brittle and had shattered, although it felt smooth and bendy to touch when I put it in the bag (and it was brand new so not an old tube).

Medipulv.jpg

Aerosols can be a problem but my deodorant was roll on. The toothpaste was fine even though it looks like it is made of similar stuff. People pack hairspray I think so aerosol deodorant ought to be OK. Check online at an international flight carrier's web site as they list the do's and don'ts of international travel.

From the Air NZ website...

Restricted Items:

Carriage of Liquids, Aerosols, Pastes and Gels:

Passengers departing New Zealand on international flights must comply with security regulations relating to the carriage of liquids, gels and aerosols in the aircraft cabin.

The measures are:

All liquids, pastes, aerosols or gels such as drinks, creams, perfumes, sprays, gels, toothpaste, lip gloss and mascaras must be in individual containers not greater than 100ml in volume

All containers must be carried in a re-sealable transparent plastic bag no larger than one litre (approximately 20cm x 20cm or 8 inches x 8 inches)

Only one bag is permitted per passenger

The plastic bag must be sealed and presented separately from all other carry-on baggage at the screening point

Liquids in containers of more than 100mls can be packed in your checked in baggage.

There are exemptions for personal medications, baby products and dietary supplements in liquid, paste, aerosol or gel form.

The containers used must be brought to the airport contained in a single, transparent, re-sealable plastic bag, which itself must not exceed 1 litre in capacity (approximately 20cms x 20cms).

The contents of the plastic bag must fit comfortably and the bag sealed. Each passenger may carry only one such bag of liquids.

The bag must be presented for examination at the airport security points.

Liquids, pastes, aerosols and gels that can not be placed inside the re-sealable bag must be packed into the hold luggage and checked in.

Be aware that if travelling to the USA you may be subjected to additional secondary security screening before boarding the aircraft.

Remember that 'Liquids' includes:

All drinks, including water, beer, wine, spirits, soup, syrups

Pastes, including toothpastes

Creams, lotions, oils, perfumes, mascara etc

Gels, including hair and shower gel

Sprays and pressurized containers including shaving

Foam and spray deodorants

Any other solutions and items of similar consistency

They said it is permitted in the checked in baggage, I assume it's an aerosol for personal or sporting use (jetstar said they follow the same flying guidelines). But it said with no subsidiary risk? I assume deodorant isn't?

From the information you've given it exceeds 100ml and can be packed in a single plastic 1L bag into the checked in luggage.

Thanks again Caryl :bow: