Dosing Chelated Iron

kiwiplymouth

Yea I used to on my big planted tank and do on my current one. I can't say I noticed a difference but that's cos I started using it when I started using ferts altogether. I was told to dose 5mL/200L by Jen. Mind you I found I needed to add a lot more than the 'recommended' rate due to quite high lighting.

Awesome Antwan. Are you using the Stokers Chelated Iron?

Did you test your Iron levels and if so what ppm do you aim to keep your tank at.

I found this dose chart on the net.

7g in 1000ml water - dose 5ml/10gal for .1ppm

14g in 1000ml water - dose 5ml/10gal for .2ppm

21.5g in 1000ml water - dose 5ml/10gal for .3ppm

27.5g in 1000ml water - dose 5ml/10gal for .4ppm

34.5g in 1000ml water - dose 5ml/10gal for .5ppm

Yea it's the stokers stuff. Unfortunately I don't have any test kits so can't really say I'm afraid. Wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in some though to guage what I'm using.

Those levels are much higher than what I've been dosing. I have written here to use 1g per L, then dose 5ml/200L.

However, I don't really have any red plants at the moment. Time for some research perhaps

Had a quick look on plantedtank.net and this was stickied about 6 months ago. It's actually pretty sweet and does all the calculations for you. You can enter it in so you dose the same amount of each nutrient but make the concentrations different (basically just to make it easier to remember), or have it however you want.

Did a quick google and I believe iron chelate is EDTA Fe (13%), and that looks pretty similar to Stoker's so that's two thumbs up

apparently there is Chelated Iron in stokers trace element mix. I asked them how much but they wouldnt go into detail which is fair enough I guess.

57g EDTA Fe (13%) in 1000ml of water - Dose 20ml per 300L.

This equals 1.14g Fe per dose

Many of the trace mixes on the net contain 7% Fe so if stokers was similar you would need to dose 16.28g of trace mix to get the 1.14g of Fe :dunno:

That liquid dosing regime was a duplicate of Flourish Iron (w/v concentration). To dose with EI you'd need to use a lot more. I use it dry, 1/4 tsp/400L every other day in addition to the trace mix which already contains iron... I think I got that dose rate from Tom Barr, but I can't recall. I have red plants and live healthy fish so I am happy.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumpitty bump - anyone know the dosing rate for Stoker's trace mix? :dunno: I just got some iron chelate off them, too, so I don't want to use iron as a limiting factor when dosing the trace mix.

My dwarf chain swords, which had been going great guns, started going brown. I got a small bottle of API Leaf Zone to test if iron was the issue, and that seems to have sorted it out (although I had to dose at twice the recommended rate to keep iron at EI levels), hence the Stocker's chelate.

• 3 weeks later...