Breeding Kribs

zeebee

Kribs arent fussy, I have a pair now breeding regularly and have breed them previously with no issues. Best method i found was to get two females and one male, feed them up on blood worms. the females are the most active in the breeding process eventually they will pair up once you have a pair remove the spare female or she will get harrassed to death. I also usually find that an other fish in the tank means the fry disapear after a week. I usually start with a deep silcate sand substrate and two spawning areas (plant pots) but as soon as the fry are out and about I syphon as much sand out as possible so that cleaning the tank is easier. As soon as i see the fry out I feed micro worms 3-4 x daily, after a few weeks of micro worms, I start feeding ground flakes and micro worms alternately, I have never feed brine shrimp, (tried it, my fry just ignored it strange!). you'll need a few grow ut tanks. Good luck they are fun to breed.. :D

• 1 month later...

The females usually bully the males, the females instigate the breeding usually. It could be that the female is to young or it could be the male is ready to breed the female not. When I breed them I usually use two females, that way they are so busy competing for the males attention and chasing each other about the male gets left alone. When they do eventually pair up they settle down and I take the spare female out before it gets stressed or injured.

If you dont want a third female, separate your male and female for a while and try again. But if ones ready and the other not you'll end up with a really stressed or injured fish. Good luck :wink:

Also what age are they? I have never been able to breed kribs that are less than 8 months old..... this could be the reason....

Also try feeding them blood worms. they usually colour up after 4 or 5 days on blood worms and get straight down to business.

Good luck let me know if any of this helps

• 1 month later...