Best incubator?

emaytiti

The best one I have cost me $30 and a heap more to get it up from a farm in the lakes district. It was being used and was being sold as a bread prover but I recognised it as being a bacterial incubator that we had used when training way back in 1971. I checked it with a very accurate thermometer and it maintained a better temperature than the made in China, sold in Australia, purpose built reptile one I had previously bought, but not by a lot. It will hold about 3 times as many containers as the poly ones.

all depends what you want to do and probably more importantly what quantities of eggs?i have used alsorts of homemade contraptions,to waterbed drawers and hotwater cupboards.when it comes to wanting precise temps the factory mades are worth getting.your basic hovabator is probably best for efficiency and price but there are alot better ones out there for not alot more.i have recently had a good experience with an Rcom for birds and based on that would have a serious look at the reptile one which I have seen for $650 somewhere?

yes,thats the place mine come from.just did a quick google,the juragon is an rcom product.based on my bird one yours would be a good product.they would have the same technology inside for temp control/humidity and as i said the bird one worked brilliantly,bear in mind that any incubator,no matter what price is only as good as the place you are running it in(wide temp variances make it hard for any machine to do a good job?)

dry out at 90% humidity ... more likely just infertile?

how do you have the eggs stored?

my incubator is only 42% moisture. tubs with eggs would be higher but i suspect you are obtaining the moisture from the incubator therefore would have to have eggs exposed to environment/ does it havea fan? not sure about reptile eggs being exposed to a fan even at correct temp and humidity.

i don't get those incubators to be honest, or at least not how the display pic is of them full of eggs in the bottom as that is hardly practical.

fans are fine if eggs are in tubs with minimal to no air holes.

dry out at 90% humidity ... more likely just infertile?

how do you have the eggs stored?

my incubator is only 42% moisture. tubs with eggs would be higher but i suspect you are obtaining the moisture from the incubator therefore would have to have eggs exposed to environment/ does it havea fan? not sure about reptile eggs being exposed to a fan even at correct temp and humidity.

i don't get those incubators to be honest, or at least not how the display pic is of them full of eggs in the bottom as that is hardly practical.

fans are fine if eggs are in tubs with minimal to no air holes.

Fan is used to regulate temp. ? Have incubated eggs in it in seperate containers with and with out lids, opening every week for air but seem to mold. With out lid seems to dry out. Which incubator do you use?

thought it may be. have used a hovabator without fan. worked ok.

found it kept a more constant temp with the fan going and minimal to no air holes in egg tubs. but yeah you should open the containers at least 3/4times during incubation.

now just using an old fridge with large pc fan and a 40watt light bulb (should add another bulb as a back up/ or may get a heat cord) on a $30 thermostat i got off tm a few years ago. it does fluctuate a few degrees but that happens in the wild so all good and it seems to work a charm.

have you candled the eggs, to see if any are fertile?

i have seen round plumb ones that are infertile and also fertile ones that have gone mouldy,you do`nt even have to touch or pick hem up to candle them.

once you have had a few sucesses and failures you know what to look for and how to deal with what happens.

I woulf go back to basics,eggs in lidded containers with pre moistened vermiculite etc half burried in medium and covered with a moist paper towel,check weekly.if towel is dry remoisten,if not do nothing and so on till end of incubation.To be honest i have never used a humidity gauge for any of my reptile hatchihgs till this year.Birds are different kettle of fish.