plants for no-light tanks

Sophia

You got it right - I'd something to help absorb stuff in my breeding tanks that only have daylight lighting - no direct sunlight and no overhead lights at all.

Ambulia does ok for a little while but eventually gives up, I've got a small anubias going as a trial. Is there anything else that will survive and even do well? I did have crypts but they didn't survive a large water change so they are probably not suitable.

Yeah I remember reading about it. They had two jars one with java moss one without. They added a small amount of ammonia each day, and found that the java moss do help keep nitrate levels down :thup:

It's not very flashy but it does the job.

Yes I think I will try some java fern, I just won't put it anywhere near my tanks with lights :sml2:

One of the tanks is pretty good for getting daylight, it reflects a bit of light around as all the surrounds are polystyrene and there no background. The other tank has a blue background so doesn't reflect and is a bit dark. I think I will scrape it off, that should help, will also help me snoop on the fry that are escaping the net box and swimming about below.

Algae screen thing looks good but far too complicated for my set up and brain cells usage on weekends 8)

Since the aim is to remove nitrates why use expensive plants that need to be maintained? I've got some craft canvas lying against the waterfall of a HOB to kill the noise ( spouse objects to the sound of running water in the kitchen ) and it seems that if I rub some algae into it, and shine a light on the canvas, it should be able to create a (ugly looking) algae scrubber.

My neighbour has his filter running across the top glass which is tilted downwards so that the water runs across the glass and back into the tank ... and it's covered in algae. It's by a window to encourage the algae growth.

As I said, it's a small breeding tank (see link in my signature) and not much room or inclination for that kind of thing as it is. I just want to try some java fern and see if it lives for a start. And there won't be much 'maintaining' going on, a mere weighting down the roots and letting them be.