Fishroom temperature

rcon021

Some very great Ideas.

But also very expensive

what has not been discussed is set vs operational costs

so a $10 fan heater costing a dollar a day to heat the room ( mine runs at 28-30 deg to keep water at 25-27 deg depending on how long I leave the door open each day) vs a $100-3000 dollar heat pupm or flued gas fire costing $.50 to run...set up vs op costs.

Insulate insulate insulate. fill teh room and then fill the tanks.

Then fill the space. for example i keep my shipping poly boxes under my stands or above my tanks in available 'ceiling' space to reduce air volume.

Also dry air transfers heat and is easier to heat than wet air.

Also I have 70 tanks in my room and they are kept full even in not holding fish.

Empty tanks then work as a heat sink.

In Winter with Canterbury snow and frosts and occasional power cuts and earthquakes it has not been heat loss that has been an issue it has been circulating water and thus air disolved in water that has been an issue

I just brought a heatpump off trademe for $100 and chucked it in my room, I only have it set on a timer to cool though, the fluoros and air pump heat the room too much! Mine is a pretty well insulated shipping container though.

I don't think that compressed air or flued gas would be anywhere near practical, as everyone has said spend the money on insulation to minimise the losses, then no matter what method you use it wont cost stuff all.

I just brought a heatpump off trademe for $100 and chucked it in my room, I only have it set on a timer to cool though, the fluoros and air pump heat the room too much! Mine is a pretty well insulated shipping container though.

I don't think that compressed air or flued gas would be anywhere near practical, as everyone has said spend the money on insulation to minimise the losses, then no matter what method you use it wont cost stuff all.

Don't you need to plumb an external unit for heatpumps?

I guess it depends on what value of your live stock is. If you have $1000s of discus in there, you might want to have all sorts of redundancies there ... like moving away from Chch!

With a portable heatpump you just need to vent a hose outside that discharges the hot/cold air depending on what mode the heat pump is running in.. I also run a dehumidifier with a drain going outside this increases the tend and keeps the mould/stink down.

Ventilation does become an issue though, I just open the door lots when I am in there and the temp outside is not too cold.

With a portable heatpump you just need to vent a hose outside that discharges the hot/cold air depending on what mode the heat pump is running in.. I also run a dehumidifier with a drain going outside this increases the tend and keeps the mould/stink down.

Pity the water from the dehumidifier can't be reused without sterilizing it first otherwise you wouldn't need to do topups.

Ventilation does become an issue though, I just open the door lots when I am in there and the temp outside is not too cold.

If you have a heatpump running on cooling then you shouldn't need a dehumidifier? They are both just a compressor/condensation unit.

Pity the water from the dehumidifier can't be reused without sterilizing it first otherwise you wouldn't need to do topups.

UV bulb and carbon filter?