has anyone dealt with a dog with megaesophagus (urgent)

jackp

my skinny little fella is curled up asleep at my feet whilst I watch the rugby. as the game started i got up to get another beer and returned to find him polishing of the last of my dinner (chilli con carne). Ordinarily this would result in a telling off and prompt ejection from the house. tonight, however, it brought a smile to my face and he was given a bowl of his own which he also finished (luckily I was low on crushed chillies so it was a mild brew). I don't know if this means he's on the mend, but for the moment he looks pretty happy and i'll take that.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my skinny little fella is curled up asleep at my feet whilst I watch the rugby. as the game started i got up to get another beer and returned to find him polishing of the last of my dinner (chilli con carne). Ordinarily this would result in a telling off and prompt ejection from the house. tonight, however, it brought a smile to my face and he was given a bowl of his own which he also finished (luckily I was low on crushed chillies so it was a mild brew). I don't know if this means he's on the mend, but for the moment he looks pretty happy and i'll take that.

Haha your boy has some strange tastes for a dog. Reminds me of my cat when she gobbled a chunk of chilli from my sweet chilli tuna. Normally she doesn't even like fish!

the weekend didn't go very well. i'm really struggling to get bruce to eat anything, and when he does eat he throws up most of it. he's lost a lot of wieght now and looks like a skeleton in a fur coat. i honestly don't know what else i can do. i spent the weekend buying damn near every food option available. I've tied dried, canned, raw, freezedried as well as cooking meals for him. he still seems to be happy, but then how can i know for sure. i can't shake the feeling that i'm fighting a losing battle. the thought of him slowly starving to death is hideous, but at the same time when do i draw the line. he's been my best friend and companion, helped me through some pretty rough times, and i have to do right by him. the problem is i just don't know what it is i should do

i have tried giving him stock, but he only laps up a bit and then refuses it. I haven't got any nutrigel, but will try to get some tomorrow. It doesn't seem like a long term solution, but hopefully it buys me enough time to sort something more permanent out.

I thought my cat should have been put down a few times during his illness but the vet kept saying he was OK for a bit longer. I was getting more and more upset as he was getting slower and slower and eating less and looking skinnier all the time. One morning he couldn't get up to go to the toilet and the vet agreed that now it was time and he came over that afternoon to put him to sleep. I hope you have someone with you when it's Bruce's time to go, if it's not now then later.

I guess that vets see sick animals all the time, they know when they really are at the end, but we can't possibly imagine that they could get worse and still not be in misery.

This is how my Moo looked at the end, still makes me sad &c:ry

217346_5901113750_7161_n.jpg

I haven't used it for dogs, but it's brilliant for sick cats that wont eat because their mouths are all ulcerated, and really underweight ones. You can rub it on their gums if they don't want to eat it and it's almost a complete food, concentrated.

Hope he's feeling better soon :(

i bought a couple of tubes of nutrigel today. i'm hoping that if i can get bruces energy up and give his throat a break from all the throwing up he may turn around. while i remain hopeful that it works, the vet told me that he has never seen a dog come back from this point. that said i was told the same thing 6 months ago. regardless, he still seems to be reasonably content, though getting quite lethargic. i have made the decision that if i can't get him to turn around with the nutrigel i will have to have him put down. it is not a decision i have made lightly, and i truly think that i have made it with bruces best interests in mind. while i can't think of anything else i can do to help him, i can't help but feel i've failed him. i just hope that with a bit more energy and no vomiting to irritate his throat he will start to feel better.

i can't help but feel i've failed him.

Stop thinking that right now, you haven't failed him at all, in fact it's the opposite. He has been lucky to have you, I wonder where he'd be now if it wasn't you that took him home as a puppy?

sadly things aren't good. bruce is bringing up the nutrigel and continues to fade. i have organised for the vet (a family friend) to come round on saterday to put bruce to sleep. if i think that he is sufferin at all i will bring it forward, but i think that the little energy he is getting from the nutrigel will keep him going till then. i am absolutely heartbroken, but i know i am doing the right thing by him. it isn't fair for me to keep him alive just because i can't bear the thought of losing him.

thankyou everyone for your support and advice, i really do appreciate it.

what a great owner to have you have done well by him mate its hard to lose a great friend like that but keep your chin up.i woke up one morning and found my purebred rotweiler on the lawn not moving a friend had given him a pot of noodles and he twisted his stomach.sadly we had to put him down but we knew he had a great life and was well remembered and never forgotten.same as bruce will be jack

aww poor Bruce.

I'm so sorry for you going through this Jack. :(

When my cat went to sleep I felt relief mixed with the sadness - happy that he was finally free of his used up body, but so sad for myself and the hole he left behind.

poor bruce he is lucky to thow have such a caring owner like yourself. You should pat yourself on the back and cherish the time you have had with him

you are doing the best thing even thow its soo hard

take care and cherish the photos and time you both spent together

sarah

I'm sorry to hear Jack. Bruce had more love bestowed upon him than many pets ever do. Be proud of how you tried so hard to help your loved friend.

I know first hand how hard it is to loose a beloved pet. My heart goes out to you.

*hugs*

Caper :(

One of the hardest things that anyone will ever go through...

it is perfectly normal to have the selfish thoughts and not want him to go, but, sometimes it is the best thing...

Look at it as one more final act of pure love for Bruce, the one where he finally is free from the confines of his mortal body that has not served him as well as it maybe should have, and frees him from his pain...

Have people around you that you trust and can talk to, you're probably not going to want to talk about it immediately, but it is what everybody needs eventually in order to come to terms with it...

Always have us here, P.M me if you like, Whatever we can do to help...

Much love to Bruce...

Who's cutting those freaking onions???

i don't know if i'm just seeing things that i am desperate to see, but bruce seems a little better today. a couple of days ago i bought a smoked chicken and boiled up a broth with it (bruce has always loved smoked chicken). i have been warming up small amounts of the broth for him, as well as giving him the nutrigel. i also stopped giving him all the pills the vet gave me, as i figured he wasn't improving and i was having to literally force them down his throat.

when i got home from work today the first thing i noticed was that he seemed more lively and his breathing was easier. he also accepted a small amount of food (spca tinned food). only time will tell if he holds it down, but it may be a glimmer of hope. this is how his recovery occured last year. all hope seemed lost, he was booked in to be put down and then he miraculously turned around. i will keep a close eye on him and see how he goes. one thing that's certain is that i will not have him put to sleep if he is happy and there is any hope of a recovery.

as i say, i may just be kidding myself, but death is pretty damn final. i want to be certain i'm doing the right thing.