Can Loaches climb?

Dawn

I've just had the strangest thing happen! On Sunday I bought a new Golden Zebra Loach home as a mate for my other one - he was fine for a day or two then he just seemed to disappear. For the last three days I've scoured that tank and he was just nowhere - oh well I thought - another one been eaten by the mob!

This this morning I thought I wonder if somehow he's managed to get into the filter compartment (AR980) - the water is filled to the lip of the tank so it's not that far from the filter compartments, about 3cm or so I reckon.

There's one square hole at the back for all the leads to go through and another two round ones in front of it, for more leads I guess. So I looked but no nothing there - then as I was about to put the lid back on I spotted him - he was in the first filter compartment on top of the black filter pad squished down at the edge as much as he could to get into the water. Luckily for him there had been water - albeit dirty - washing over him the whole time he was there. I trepidly picked him up in the net thinking he'd be dead but he moved!

So he's back in the tank and I'm hoping he'll be okay - probably as hungry as hell but none the worse for his adventure.

I want to KNOW how on earth he got up there, the holes in the filter where the water comes out are far too small for him to have gone up the filter so he must have climbed or jumped - do they have a sucker mouth similar to that of the Bristlenoses? He was darn lucky he didn't fall out of the side of the hole where the leads go as he would have fallen down the back of the tank then!

BTW I have now covered the holes with aquarium filter wool so it won't happen again - I hope.

Has he been near a tv recently? (ie at the time finding nemo was released on DVD/VHS) :-?

He could be trying to copy nemo and friends in trying to block your filter and make their escape when you changed the water. :lol:

Should call him NEMO