Trucking company, big tank questions

Squirt

Hey all,

I've seen a nice big tank on trademe, 1900x800x600, but only problem is that it's in masterton. Clearly it's too big for a car or a trailer to go and pick up. Does anyone know of a company that can get it from there to here? The tank is cheap so I don't mind paying a bit more for shipping.

Anyway this tank is made of 10mm glass, which isn't that safe according to the glass safety calculator (1.1?). And according to some posts by Warren a safe factor is 3+. Is there anyway without rebuilding the tank to make it more safe.

The tank has a crack on one of the end pieces, it is 20cm long. Should I be looking at replacing the whole panel or just patching it with a "glass sandwich" with some silicone in the middle?

I will most likely be putting this tank outside more for convenience. Proably like an outside pond during summer for Squirtle. So it won't be full to the top. If I can get it all organized before Christmas, it will be my Xmas present to myself/Squirtle. :thup:

Thanks

Matt

my tank is 2.0m and it went on a trailer behind my car easily. just put down some poly and strop it on with cardboard between the strop and glass. It is also made from 10mm glass.

If the tank won't be filled past half way then a patch job should be fine on the crack. otherwise replace the panel if you intend to ever fill it right up.

I was just talking to my mum who works for a freight company and was told they dont take tanks as they are too fragile, and you would have to go with a furniture removers. she thinks it would be cheaper to hire a van and go get it over your self

Haha yeah, I will talk to the parents and see what they say as well. We don't actually have a trailor, but a few mates have them. I would plan to cover the whole thing is polystyrene if it were to go on a trailer and probably tape it up so it doesn't shift.

I don't plan to fill the tank past half way. My other option is to cut the top 20cm off. I'd have to check the seals as well.

I'll see how big some trailers are, or how much a truck is to hire. I know the guy that owns mainfreight so maybe he could help me out :dunno:

Thanks

Matt

Sorry, the dimensions may have been misleading, it's 800 high. Im not too confident about taking a whole panel out, how about buying the same size pane and sticking it on the inside of the tank?

Oh and I thought about making a "plug" for it so you an take out this plug and it will drain the tank for easy cleaning. I would plan to breed some mountain minnows in it. They should survive over winter outdoors?

See the crack second pic of this auction

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=429129324

IMO I wouldn't bother with it, only 10mm glass for a tank that size is a huge risk, and even if it's only half full for your turtle. My 100x30x50cm was made out of 5mm glass, and one of the panels was cracked. I got it replace, and had the tank braced and reinforced. And it was usually filled 5-10cm from the top. I did some maintainance on it one day and accidentally dropped a terracotta pot (and it wasn't from a very great height either) and it cracked.

I feel you'd be a lot better off getting a brand-new custom-made tank with nice thick glass, or just look for something that is a lot safer. But that's just my opinion :)

I agree with Joe, that tank is too thin in 10mm glass probably not worth the time effort. There was an old thread (can't be bothered finding it) but Jimr had an 8ft tank let go in his fish room and it actually propelled shards of 10mm glass hard enough that they went right through both front/back of a 4ft in 10mm across the room from it. Probably not the type of thing you would want to be standing in front of when/if it let go.

That crack could be patched, but again you would question if it is worth the risk.

Hi,

Okay, I will rethink it all. There are a few tanks on here also in masterton. I'm torn to get the 500L as that is made of 10mm. I'll stick it's dimensions into the safety calculator and see how it goes. I would rather get a massive (bigger than 500L) because it's an outside tank, mum said last and final tank. So bigger is better. I might call up port nichilson glass and see how much a tank is from them. But buying a new tank is going to be expensive.

Thanks

Matt

Just a thought, have you considered talking to your local glass manufacturers?

If it's your last one, you might wanna give making one yourself a go. Shopping around, some custom made tanks can even be cheaper than some tanks on TradeMe, and especially cheaper than some custom made bought-new ones. The down side is, if you don't know what your doing, you can end up with a massive mess. :slfg:

I know of know how to build a tank. I'd just need to know how to brace it properly :thup: . I built a small tank but it had no braces because I think it doesn't need it.

The local manufactors are expensive. I got quoted about $300 in glass for a tank 1200x380x450, and a new one at the shop cost me $200.

I guess I'll eventually move it inside, move it inch by inch a day :slfg: