Spiders - Grey House Spider....

pufferfishnz

My house and garden is FULL of these. Our garage is practically crawling with them! And I am lucky enough to find them in the house from time to time.

How do I get rid of them in the garage so they dont come inside?

Would one of those bug and insect spray ie raid or mortein be the way to go?

Please help, they are pretty big, so I dont really want to try and hit them just incase I miss!!

Get a bigger, badder, hunter-killer spider!

Some spray can insecticides (Sorry, no idea of brand etc, just I saw them at super-market) you can get leave a residue that stops crawling insects from coming in the house at all, spray a line around doors, windows etc. also good for flies (always around the windows) and means you dont have to destroy the spiders, merely make your place less inviting.

hth

SetWidth300-250ml-NoSpidersConc.png

http://www.kiwicare.co.nz/pest/products/product-list/no-spiders/

I use the No Ants twice a year all around the bottom of the house inside and out and the No Spiders up the wall corners and right around the top of the walls where the ceiling is. I have no ants or spiders in my house, this stuff is really good and it does not leave a potent smell in your house :thup:

sounds like some good stuff :sml2:

try to minimise use of outside lights, if light in shed? that will no doubt attract food for the spiders.

eliminate any stagnant water in attempt to reduce mossies. rotten wood, any damp areas where cockroaches may like to hang out etc.

would be more inclined to use a barrier spray around the outside of your house as oppose to fumigating the entire house. not sure how effective but gta be better than living with chem residue.

wonder if adding daddy-long-legs to your shed may help reduce their numbers? i have heaps of grey housespiders on the house around the outside light. very rarely see them in the house. Possibly due to me always letting a few daddy long legs live on the ceiling ...

good luck.

:slfg: That's just the flash name for permethrin, which is the active ingredient in No Spiders and most insecticides. It's bad for fish and cats, so be careful when spraying...

It's generally consider harmless, but there's some interesting stuff on Wikipedia, which makes me want to use it as little as possible, i.e not at all :

Permethrin does not present any notable genotoxicity or immunotoxicity in humans and farm animals, but is classified by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a likely human carcinogen, based on reproducible studies in which mice fed permethrin developed liver and lung tumors.[10] Carcinogenic action in nasal mucosal cells due to inhalation exposure is suspected, due to observed genotoxicity in human tissue samples, and in rat livers the evidence of increased pre-neoplastic lesions raises concern over oral exposure.

I have been using it for years now without any problems. I even remove my cats food and water dish and spray the area where I put it with the no ants, she has never had ants in her food and water and she is healthy, just last week had her vet check up and no probs. I do however cover my fishtanks with a damp towel when I do spray the house and I do it on a warm day so I can air the house completely.