marine prices at jansens, auckland

david

Has anybody actually checked the price of live (or any) freight to a remote island in the south pacific lately. after certain recent incidents etc routes have changed and prices have skyrocketed.

Is the fish a quality specimen. cyanide caught. imported direct or thru 50 stores. is it rare?

people that desire to keep a small piece of the ocean in their living room should not complain about the prices of fish.

you pays your money and you takes your choice. hopefully the cyanide doesnt bite you! can you really tell if that fish is captive caught (ever thought what good divers cost by the hour? and perhaps quarantine costs and losses and tax. it seems ridiculously cheap to be paying under 100bucks a fish doesnt it?

If anybody was asking me........id buy from jansens.....;)

Dr.Felix. I take it that you are a beginner at reef keeping and are still learning how to keep marine fish.

I have seen centropyge bispinosa sell for $200 . this fish is normally $80 in most shops. This is only one example of the outrages pricing.

I would say that they would loose about 50% of there stock due to neglect and bad buying decisions., Fancy trying to keep acropora in between two 150w watt metal halides, this is no way enough lighting.

Also they buy fish that are imposable to keep for the hobbyist. If they knew what they are doing they would not make these mistakes, so I guess the prices are high so that the hobbyist can pay for there incompetence.

I have been to the Auckland reef club and have found that most members have the same opinion of Janssen’s.

The Club has about 60 people on the mailing list and growing.

We have found that Hollywood Fish Farm in Auckland (www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz) to be fair on there pricing structure and advice. Normally if they can’t answer a question they would find out not just guess.

Have you noticed that Janssen’s have closed there marine sections in the North Shore and South Auckland shops. I wonder why?

I take it that you are a beginner at reef keeping and are still learning how to keep marine fish.

wholesale supplier not amateur.

I have seen centropyge bispinosa sell for $200 . this fish is normally $80 in most shops. This is only one example of the outrages pricing.

the prices will go continue to go up too, due to the factors i have previously discussed. this hobby is an esoteric luxury and supply of marine stock fraught with difficulty - from capture , the livestocks inability to handle transport, quarantine and environmental change to the suppliers and aquarists tanks. It is remarkable that they even make it off the plane alive and that importers even consider to trade in such a commodity- its really not worth the trouble but we persist - so you guys can moan about the prices and then dash home stoked with your new cerianthus anemone or polka dot grouper - imperator angel- whatever.

I dont actually know what you are talking about species that cant be kept... we dont sell on until they are eating.

I would say that they would loose about 50% of there stock due to neglect and bad buying decisions.

unable to comment on customers losses, but we usually hear about any.

, Fancy trying to keep acropora in between two 150w watt metal halides, this is no way enough lighting.

Also they buy fish that are imposable to keep for the hobbyist. If they knew what they are doing they would not make these mistakes, so I guess the prices are high so that the hobbyist can pay for there incompetence.

refer last email.I replied to you to try and infer the costs involved in providing fish to the reef public. recently it has become much more expensive to do so. It is as simple as that. We like to supply the more unusual and rare fish (not some chromis, fiji damsels and a few dwarf angels, a clown and a trigger ) and will continue to do so. We search the world for them.if you dont want to pay for them ....so be it.

I have been to the Auckland reef club and have found that most members have the same opinion of Janssen’s.

but you still buy...

I assure you Dr Felix, most aquarists are well aware of the difficulties involved in getting fish into shops in NZ and we appreciate your efforts - long may they continue.

We also appreciate those shops who go to the trouble of getting rarer, and usually more difficult to keep (hence the rarity and price) fish for those experienced and dedicated enough to give them a go.

Our thanks to the wholesalers!

As we have said before David, if you don't like the prices - go somewhere else!

Dr Felix I think your comments are far enough.

I think the prices will drop shortly anyway as there is a group of people who have opened a importing facility, and will be selling fish /coral over the internet and direct to public which will be great.

I have been told that the prices will be about 50% cheaper than Janssen’s and any other retail store.

I think that jansens is a great store, i also think the same of hollywoods.

I was in both stores 2 days ago and found the prices to be very similar if not the same. But jansens does seem to have ten times the stock to choose from over hollywoods, maybe thats why its a little more ? because of there really good selection :o

I believe that they stopped stocking marines at the other stores so that they could consentrate on it in just one store and provide a better service in general, not because of excess loss.

Also id love to know where i can get a coral beuty for $80 dollars plz tell me of a shop that normally sells them for that much and ill be shopping from them from now on.

Forgive my negativity but man this subject got old a long time ago.However I did stop into Hollywoods yesterday and they had just recieved some new stock in amongst them was a Coral Beauty I didn`t take any notice of the price as the fish I wanted had just exited the building(nice Powder Blue).They informed me that they were expecting some more in the next week or so.BTW there was a shop down Hamilton ways that used to regularly have well priced fish can`t quite remember the name