Look at this new stock list.... makes me weep!

henward

negver say never, its not a piranha or anything.

but it would take someone to apply to erma, they would need research to say that it wouldnt establish here.

time , money.

the thing is, once the rays are in, they can easly be bred here.

its not hard to breed them, apparently they will just breed with relative ease. so for a importer to import them, is risk

they do it with rarer and nicer cichlids and breeders will breed them and thats it, they are dirt cheap.

thats what will happen here.

thats the problem.

we already have a bunch of coldwater fish imports that would breed sweeet if let into nz waterways, some already have (goldfish, koi, carp etc) and i'm pretty sure convict cichlids would find a way to adapt to our colder waters - i've kept them in unheated tanks over auckalnd winters and they have been sweet and even bred in those cold conditions! silly maf :(

yeah, its a fine balance i guess. there is no incentive for maf to allow it in, i mean they cant care less for hobbyist, fair enough too.

for us its annoying, but the govt does not care about hobbyist, why should they its not a priority so i understand

but it would be cool if they did:D

i'm pretty sure convict cichlids would find a way to adapt to our colder waters - i've kept them in unheated tanks over auckalnd winters and they have been sweet and even bred in those cold conditions! silly maf :(

Convict cichlids: the gremlins of the aquatic world.

Well.. If one or two kind people are willing to (possibly) go to jail to bring in a mating pair of rays, the rest of us would benefit. Any volunteers? Take one for the team? For the greater good? :spop:

So go to jail, or move to somewhere where you can legally keep rays? ;)